Register free!

Old 06-10-2004, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Ahhhhhhhhh! Stripes!

I am pulling my hair out! Applying second round now using Lebanon 25-2-5 with 50% MESA and my lawns are striping. Customers have not noticed, but I have as well as some landscapers. I am doing nothing different with my spreading technique than I have in the past. I can not find the SGN, but i am guessing the granules are amking the difference. Any one have this problem? Using an Scotts/Anderson SR 2000.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
how many lbs per thousand are you applying?
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 06-10-2004, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

1 pound. I should have gone heavier. The lawns that I are in great shape do not have a real noticeable stripe. It is the ones that are thin or it has been close to seven weeks since the first app.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am applying the same material and have actually noticed a few lawns with 'vague' stripes. I can see them. This is my first year using this specific product and have been fert. since 93. I understand it would have to be my application method and not the product, but I cant figure where I went wrong.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think cm3's problem would be the low rate, 1 lb per k is soo little product so the spreaders holes will not be open that much thus allowing smaller clumps to lodge and cause problems.

Although I dont know that spreader, I know applying any product through a lesco spreader at 1 lb per K seems would be very differcult
Old 06-11-2004, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
I agree with james, but it could be a product problem.

remember, the bag anaylsis is a GARAUNTEE MINIMUN, could be a 50-2-5 instead of 25-2-5. Also the label says 50% mesa, thats not 50% controled slow release, and it also could be much lower than 50% mesa.

We always assume the label states exactly what is in the bag, not always true, and label again is the garuantee minimum!!!!!!!!

Myself and other gc superintendents got burned on a 20-0-16, 70% win, that actually was only 25% win, applying in summer at .75 to 1 lbs of n/m in summer on new usga geens! Some lawsuits where won!!!!!!!!!!
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 09-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Sponsor

The Rate is The Issue

If you are applying only one pound per 1,000 or 44 Lbs. per acre it is almost impossible to get an even application with a rotary spreader. The Proscape 25-2-5 51% MESA product has an SGN of about 200 and bulk density of about 55 Lb./Cubic Ft. It should be applied at 3 or more Lbs. per 1,000 square feet or a minimum of 130 Lbs. per acre. Using this at 1 Lb. per 1,000 is like using coarse rock salt on your French fries.

If you want to apply only a 1/4 Lb. of N with a landscape/fairway sized product you should be using a lower analysis product to get more particles per Sq. Ft. and a better spread pattern. You need a product that is about 12% N to do that and do it well.

Another option would be to go to a mid size (SGN +/- 145) or greens grade (SGN +/-100). These product have much smaller particles and so many more particles per pound. It is possible to get better coverage with them at lower rates but the ballistics are different and your spreader pattern will be narrower usually with less overlap. These product also usually cost a lot more.

If you are only getting minor streaking you are a damn good applicator.

Hope this helps............

Last edited by RBuckwalter; 09-22-2004 at 08:20 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 09-24-2004, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you applying 1# of nitrogen or 1#of fertitlizer? To get a 1lb rate of N with a 25% formulation you should be applying 4# pounds of product. Right?
I
Old 09-24-2004, 09:25 PM
Sponsor

1 LB. N or 1 Lb product/ 1,000

I dunno........

In CM's second post he says only applied one pound should have gone heavier. I assumed he was referring to total product not N?

You are correct if he is applying 1 Lb. N then the rate is 4 Lbs/1,000 or 174 Lbs. per acre. At that rate he should not be streaking.

If the spreader is not adjusted to pattern correctly that might cause excess overlap on one side and inadequate overlap on the other. Sometimes different materials have different spread patterns so that's worth a look.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cm3,
If you are applying the product mentioned at one pound of ACTUAL nitrogen per 1000 Sq. Ft. and it's a 50% slow release from mesa then only about 1/2 of a pound of ACTUAL nitrogen is available quickly. I see you are in mass. so you have similar conditions to what I deal with. In my opinion based on over 20 years exp. I think the late aug. early sept. app should be supplying a full pound of quickly available nitrogen without a slow release type fert added in. If you want to use a blend with a slow release fert then it should not be more than 20% slow release AND you should still be feeding with a full pound of quickly available ACTUAL nitrogen per 1000 Sq. Ft. in addition to the slow release fert. The strips are probebly worse on Kentucky Blue lawns as they require more fert now than the rye's and fescues. The person making the fert app where the striping happened did not use the double overlap technique and spread a bit too wide. The stripes happened where the turf got a double helping of fert and the amount applied at the darker stripe was enough fert to get a good response. When you calibrate your spreader you should fert. back to the center of the wheels of the spreader and applying using this technique you should measure an area of turf 1000 Sq. Ft. and weigh out the desired amount of fert for that area....and adjust up or down and repeat until within 5% accuracy. Apply 2/3 rds of the annual nitrogen in the last 2 apps. in the fall......late aug thru Mid November. and use quickly available sources of Nitrogen. MESA is a GREAT PRODUCT for app 2 (may) and app 3 (june/july) in my opinion and you can go 8 weeks between apps if you need to and great color response BUT the cool season turf experts will agree that you should use a quickly available Nitrogen in the fall. And most of us have made racing stripes on lawns before we learned from our mistakes.

Enjoy the best time of year here to make grass green with envy.

Pete D.