Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2004, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drip Tubing For Plant Boxes

Wondering what some of you guys are using for tiny drip tubing for planters and how you are concealing and/or attchaching it to vinyl siding.

WHat products have you had best results with??
Old 06-13-2004, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I purchase a 1000 foot roll which is a Pepco product for $32.00. Have used a Maxi Jet product which has a much thicker wall and is a much better product but is much more expensive. Can only find it in 50 foot rolls. Both have their uses. The thinner walled 1/4 in tubing becomes very rigid after a couple of years, but the Maxi Jet product does not.

Have never had to attach it to vinyl siding but did run in under the siding where the siding meets the concrete foundation of a house once. See you on another forum quite often.

Sam IV
Old 06-14-2004, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info! I will continue with the Netafim for now. My install consists of running up the corner of the house which is no problem but then need to run it across underneath the bottom edge of one of the vinyl panels and into a flower box.

Its a white house which is another issue with the exposed black tubing. Has anyone seen yet a solid white approved tubing for drip around yet??

Ive seen some guys use the polyethelene solid white tubing but I think that will lead to possible problems in the future
Old 06-15-2004, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

What I have done in the past is take the vynl siding loose on the bottom edge. They have a tool that is used to remove vynl siding with, very easy to do. Take the bottom loose and run your tubing in the gap area behind the siding the simply just snap the siding lip on the bottom back into place. We have to be very differsified in my area, so I also am a custom home builder that does all my own irrigation installs. So I know this works very easily. Drill hole the size of tubing in siding where you want to poke out. Wha-La Very clean install
Old 06-15-2004, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

PS Just make sure there is sufficent house wrap or builders paper under the siding in case of a leak. That is really all that weatherizes the home that has vinyl siding.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ended up finding the white tubing at www.dripworks.com
They have contractor pricing and a good line of products
Old 06-20-2004, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

y

glad im not the only one doing this. i get frustrated with rich people. the last one i did there was a hose 10 feet from the planters. lazy lazy lazy. this lady had no job yet coulndnt take the 2 minutes to water the planters.

mostly i do them on deck so i hide it underneath. i found a spray head that adapts to drip and use them also from rainbird. it just seems silly to me , doesnt take long for the drip/noodle pipe to become sunbaked and start to leak. also they continually mess with it and break it.

others just starting out will probably like this sort of thing but we are swamped. id rather install a commercial property than mess with silly stuff.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really dont mind. Its all irrigation to me and I treat and price it as a separate zone. Very profitable the way I see it