Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2004, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

question

Wife and I are looking into starting a small lawn care business up. We looked at a try bilt 33"cut.
Also been looking at different self propelled 22"cut.What's your opinion on the troy bilt?We are going to stay small for now,looking at doing around 10 lawns wk.Thanks for you help and have a great day.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont know about the Tro Bilt name anymore, other than the fact that they used to make good stuff when they were called Garden Way Equipment Co. I bought A Roto Tiller from them way back when, and it was like built like a tank, very solid. (thats all they Bilt back then) But then they sold out, and started mass production, and I think that their quality took a back seat to the competiveness of the mower business. Anyway, I did buy a Troy Built Trimmer a while ago, and it messed up the first day! I had to take it back, so I ened up buying a Cub Cadet Trimmer, and it has treated me very well. Personally I would get me a Toro, Scag, Honda etc.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Irony

Ironically, Cub Cadet is owned by the same company as Troy Bilt. MTD

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 07-04-2004, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Z71,

My suggestion to anyone trying to start-up would be not to go into hugh debt your first year.
Gage the number of clients you expect to have over the year and purchase equipment accordingly.

Try to purchase equipment that will hold up and last for years, but if it's not in your budget then at least try to purchase equipment that can be repaired easily and has some sort of warranty with it. Craftsman is a inexpensive way to get started if your on a fixed budget and you can order replacement parts online. There are plenty of start-up companies out there that started with this type of equipment. I still use a couple of their hand held blowers.

New people to the biz are always trying to strart off with the largest most expensive equipment available and then find it hard to turn a profit because their overhead is too high. Next thing you know their discouraged, end up selling everything, and quit the biz.

As far as the 33" Troy-Built mower, it sounds like a great starter mower.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good letter. I think one of the keys to success in this business is to simply be able to outlast the other guy. There's a lot of bull in this business and you gotta be able to take the good with the bad. I know I've felt like quitting after losing 3 bids in a row to an uninsured shrub. But, it seems that the lowball customers aren't where the money is anyhow. So, hang in there.

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 07-04-2004, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should also add that I also work a 3rd shift job to help finance the business. Gonna be one of the big guys someday.

And I started at 45 years old, 4 years ago. Hard to compete with the kidz but now a couple of them, work for me.

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors