Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2004, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My friend gets 15 pulling a 16 foot trailer with a ZTR and misc. oher tools with his 7.3 powerstroke.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by draftlawncare
I WAS NOT ASKING WHAT TRUCK IS BETTER LOOKING i wanted to know about the mpg and if the high performance chips really worked on the powerstrokes

I was not answering your question on mileage, I was commenting on the other guy's post's.

Pardon me for hijacking your thread but I'm a little tired of all the bickering over brands on this site.

Buy what you like, can afford and have a dealer close by for.

MOST brand names are 6 of one, half dozen of another.

What's the best mower, blade, edger, truck, trailer, blower????

The one that is in your hand and happens to be working at this moment, that's which one.

I need a vacation..........

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 06-19-2004, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

My 02 Dodge cummins with a 4.10 rear averages 14mpg when empty.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My 02 powerstroker, 3:73, empty gets about 19 mpg, as where my 95 dually. with 4:10 gears, empty 15 mpg
I have a very heavy foot though, especially on the 02, programed and no muffler on it, like to hear it.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have driven a F350 SRW 7.3 PS with a 78 horsepower chip
from Diablosport.com

You can notice the difference within 50 ft of accelerating from a stop. The shifts are so much firmer, generally get 2 to 4 mpg increase. The thing that surprised myself and two passangers was when I was coasting at 20mph and floored it, the rear wheels broke loose and smoked the hell out of the tires.

When I am able to buy a 7.3 PS later this summer or fall the first thing that I plan to do is put the chip in it. Man is it a heck of a difference even in just everyday driving.

Just be advised that if you do put a chip in it that any dealer that you take that truck into for a driveability issue can void your
power train warranty rite there on the spot. I have seen it done to a couple of mustangs and Lightnings at the dealership that I used to work for in service. It is all a judgement call on the management though.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My new 03 6 liter sucks gas like a Hoover. However, if you need to pull it, push it, yank it or anything else. It's as good as it gets.

Tim
Old 06-19-2004, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks gilla thats the kinda of info i was after i still would like some real #s on fuel mileage on the powerstrokes with a 6 speed and 3.73 gears
Old 06-19-2004, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks everybody for the info i think i might get this truck its just a little underpowered i had a chip in a 5.0 stang before and it was a waste of money i didnt want to buy 1 for the powerstroke and have the same results
Old 06-19-2004, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
They're all (Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet) 6 of one and half dozen of another.
Doesn't sound like that's true if the Ford only gets 11-13 mpg. I know people with both the Cummins and Duramax, they both get 20+ on the highway in 1 ton 4x4's.

I've only driven one vehicle with the Powerstroke and that was an Excursion. It was just about the slowest thing I've ever driven. It had the acceleration of a 25' U-Haul. Way slower than the Dodge or Chevy I've driven.

To bad the Super Duty has the best looks among the big three.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnK
Doesn't sound like that's true if the Ford only gets 11-13 mpg. I know people with both the Cummins and Duramax, they both get 20+ on the highway in 1 ton 4x4's.

I've only driven one vehicle with the Powerstroke and that was an Excursion. It was just about the slowest thing I've ever driven. It had the acceleration of a 25' U-Haul. Way slower than the Dodge or Chevy I've driven.

To bad the Super Duty has the best looks among the big three.
That is what pisses the Ford people off. Chevy and Dodge will both get better mileage than the Ford and both offer better performance. Simple fact, not opinion. And before anyone goes quoting spec sheets I do not drive or work spec sheets. I work in the real world. Test drive all three then decide which is better for you.