Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-04-2004, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

New Oregon blade grinder

I just bought a new Oregon blade grinder. It is my first dedicated blade grinder. I just sharpened my first blade (an old blade for practice) and it seems to have a steeper angle than before. Should I adjust the wheel? If so, how? Also, the grinder seems to be taking a lot of metal off. Is this normal? Maybe I'm just not used to seeing a good grinder in action. There are no real instructions on how to use it....forward, reverse, how to hold the blade under the wheel, how long to hold it under the wheel etc.

Also, I am not able to get the whole length of the blade under the wheel. From the tip to the end of the "sharpened part" is too long and it ends up bumping into the motor.

Any suggestion and any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Sponsor

I am glad to hear that you have purchased one of our grinders. I believe that once you have everything set you will enjoy using it for a long time.

If the angle is not correct is does need to be adjusted. If the angle is steeper than before, more straight up and down, than you need to raise the grinding wheel. This will lenthen the grind and get you back to the origional angle of the blade.

If you will rest a blade with the correct angle on the table and against the grinding wheel, while adjusting the wheel either up or down, you should be able to visually get close on the angle setting.

You will remove less material once you are grinding on the correct angle. Right now you are taking off material on the cutting edge while changing the angle.

Let me know if you have more questions. Also if you will send me a private e-mail with your name and address I will send a set of instructions out to you.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Banned

Re: New Oregon blade grinder

Quote:
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
[B
Also, I am not able to get the whole length of the blade under the wheel. From the tip to the end of the "sharpened part" is too long and it ends up bumping into the motor.
[/B]

Oregon tech, what about this part of the post?
Old 08-06-2004, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for the reply

My two major problems were not answered though. HOW do I adjust the wheel? People are telling me I have to adjust the PLATE. Why can't I sharpen the WHOLE blade? It hits the housing and leaves about an inch of blade unsharpened towards the middle. This kind of defeats the purpose of having a grinder.

Also, when I am sliding the blade back and forth under the wheel, the blade gets caught up in the slit that runs down the middle of the plate. It does not side back and forth smoothly. I am seriously considering taking it back. If they do not take it back, I may just have to sell it and look for another brand. I put too much money into this grinder for it to: A) not come with detailed istructions...on anything B) to not be up and ready to go the second I bought it (which is why i bought it...needed it that very second) and i'm still unable to use it properly B) i'm using it so many "trial and error" times that i'm putting wear and tear on the whole grinder and not getting results; thus, depreciating its value without me getting anything in return.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

any answers?

I would be interested in upgrading the more expensive grinder, seeing how the housing would not get in the way, nor would changing the angle be as difficult. If I took my grinder back to my dealer for an upgrade, would the honor that? I only used to to "attempt" to sharpen one blade. They never told me the housing would get in the way. I specifically asked for the best grinder for me and included what size and brand blades I used.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Sponsor

Can you tell me which grinder it is that you bought? We sell three models. I would assume that you have purchased the 88-023.

If you can tell me this it will be much easier for me to address your concerns. Also feel free to call me at 1-800-743-3150 ext 312. I am at my desk most times. If I am not leave me a message and I will call you back.

I believe that once you have a good feel for the grinder you will enjoy using it. Unless you have bought the one that is not best for you.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer wasn't much help. All I know is that if you look on the instructions pamphlet, I have the model that is pictured on top.

"I believe that once you have a good feel for the grinder you will enjoy using it. Unless you have bought the one that is not best for you."

This grinder obviously is NOT the one for me. I CAN NOT sharpen my blades. It is physically impossible due to the fact that the blade hits the housing. I can't move the housing out of the way. Nor can I shrink my blades.