Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2004, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

how much grass can 2 60" z's do in a day

Looking at expanding to 2 60" ztrs. How much can 2 guys do in a day considering: only 2 guys ,so not only both mow but both trim and blow, a tight route of avg 2-3 miles between stops, working 8 hrs a day in the field. Currently our setup is a 50' z ,36" w/b and 1 guy mows while the other does everything else. If both trim ,mow ,and blow how much time will you save?
Old 06-19-2004, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Re: how much grass can 2 60" z's do in a day

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty58
Looking at expanding to 2 60" ztrs. How much can 2 guys do in a day considering: only 2 guys ,so not only both mow but both trim and blow, a tight route of avg 2-3 miles between stops, working 8 hrs a day in the field. Currently our setup is a 50' z ,36" w/b and 1 guy mows while the other does everything else. If both trim ,mow ,and blow how much time will you save?
You can cut alot of grass with two 60's. BUT you cant do it without a person or person's trimming.
John
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2004, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is pointless to get 2 for one 2 man crew. It will only improve your time if the trimmer guy gets done first and is waiting for the mower to finish. It takes longer to have 2 people mow and then have 2 people weedwhack, double the unload and start up time. IMO
Old 06-19-2004, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want two mowers going at the same time, a three man crew is the efficiet way to go. Two guys mowing, one trimming. Then the mowers get done and do what is left, either more trimming or the blowing if the trimmer guy isn't done already.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I disagree.

I'm getting done quicker not that I bought the new 62" Z-Master this year to compliment my 52" Z-Master.

We're a 2 person crew.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 06-19-2004, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

last week in 1 day we cut around 35 acres. that's using 2 60's and a 72". This includes trimming and blowing off all sidewalks.

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 06-19-2004, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Woody82986
a three man crew is the efficiet way to go.
Don't mean to start an argument, but I have to agree with Woody on this one. The 3-man crew is definitley the most effecient crew to have as long as you have the lawns for it and everyone knows their job inside and out. I ran a 2-man for a few years and I have now been running a 3-man for awhile and I make alot more profit in alot less time, I have doubled my account load and I'm still finishing earlier than when I ran a 2-man crew and had less accounts, Just my opinion. I got the idea from a few LCO's in my area whom have been doing this for awhile.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Woody too.

I guess I should have made it clear I was disagreeing with dlandscaping.

I was a 2 man crew with one 52" Z-Master. Now I'm a 2 man crew with the 52" and the 62" and we are getting done way faster.

I could certainly get done faster with one more guy making me a 3 man crew, but would that be cost effective with the number of accounts I currently have?

No

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 06-20-2004, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess ideally a 3 man crew would be best. However if 2 people work good together I believe they could accomplish a lot without the added expense of the 3rd guy. The problem I have is some of my accounts are 20 minute jobs with 1 trimming/blowing and the other mowing. Then I have a couple where there is very little trimming ,but a lot of mowing. So when the trimmer guy is done he is basically just sitting waiting on the mower guy ,or just kind of slowly blowing. So I'm thinking on those kind of jobs wouldn't it be better to have a 2 man crew and do one of the following: 1 guy does the trimming and then jumps on a mower while the other guy jumps on a mower from the start ,then both blow when done cutting. or both guys trim and then jump on their mowers ,then blow. Does that make sense?
Old 06-21-2004, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty58
. Then I have a couple where there is very little trimming ,but a lot of mowing. So when the trimmer guy is done he is basically just sitting waiting on the mower guy ,or just kind of slowly blowing. [/B]
I always had the trimmer person or the mowing person who got done before the others pull weeds or do something that makes the prop look better then a solo person or a two person crew could give, they dont have the time.

Its the difference between success and failure.

John