Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-19-2004, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Describing Lawn Care in a Resume?

I've been operating on a part-time scale for the past 10 years as a LCO. Reason being is I was going to school part-time and staying at home taking care of my little girl while my wife full-filled her career goals. This is the only job I've ever had so I need to make it stand out if at all possible. It is now time for me to seek employment outside this industry and I need help with my resume. I will keep doing this part-time, but due to health issues I need to get a full time job that is indoors. I'm having a difficult time coming up with descriptions for this job. I have operated on a fairly small scale with only 2 or 3 commercial accounts at a time along with 20-25 residentials at one time. I need some pointers on listing job duties and making them sound better than coming off as a guy that just mows lawns.

I'm sorry if I shouldn't have put this in the commercial forum, but I am hoping it will get more action here than another one. I have to get my resume together ASAP becasue I had an employer ask me to send a copy his way in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 06-19-2004, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

how about describing the duties you had as full management of small business? responsibilities included customer service, sales, customer correspondance, estimating, and overseeing production?
Old 06-19-2004, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup, right on. Saying: "I mowed yards" won't get you jack sh!t on a resume. But what people are looking for in resumes are leaders. Describe what type of leadership qualities (or salesmanship- depending on what job you are currently seeking) and blow them away with those! Good luck!
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 06-19-2004, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Good ideas so far. The job I am applying for is a sales position, so I definitely need to have my salesmanship and customer service stand out.

-Brandon
Old 06-19-2004, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lets see, eats dirt, dodges poop piles, cleans up messes, stoops labor, annoys quiet neghborhoods, lays on back in the street to repair broken equipment, polutes envirnment with harsh chemicals and hydrocarbons. Is this the kinda description your looking for. Hmmmm I can see why you want another job.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You run a small business- keep a tight schedule- maintain equipment-maintain production- keep the books- customer relations, and yes you sold every job you had and any add on services. Sales is the biggest part of any business as nothing happens till after the sale. Now go sell yourself to your next boss.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm going to work on my resume later tonight, but am open to any other suggestions. I more than likely will not send a final copy until Monday.

-Brandon
Old 06-19-2004, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honesty is the best policy.

Excerpts from your first paragraph says a lot.

Certainly the other respondants to this posting have shined up up few things well.

And you could go forward from here with nothing more........

I call it like I see it. Sorry.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would never admit that I was "just cutting grass."
Tell them you were in jail, and your shrink says you are ready to re-enter society.
Crawdad
Old 06-19-2004, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

You've built and maintained a clientel base... experienced with balancing incomes and expenses in order to gain a sufficient net.