Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2004, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Is this Scag a good deal?

I posted this in a different forum and realized this is probably a better place.

Here's the deal - I am not in the business, but I only like to buy decent equipment and I didn't know who else to ask. I'm buying a house with a 1 acre lawn. I have a standard push mower - an Ariens 911 - and I have a feeling it will take me a lot longer than I want to spend. I saw an ad for a 2003 48" belt drive Scag with grass catcher for $2300 with 60 hours on it. Ad also says it has a thatcher attachment, but I didn't see a thatcher listed on Scag's site - maybe he meant mulcher.

First, is this way overkill? I have to use something, and I'd like to be done in less than an hour. I was originally planning on a 36".

Second, is this a ripoff, fair price. great price?

Third, I'd probably keep this in my garage, but the house has a deck, and the previous owner kept his mower under it - at the back of the deck there is a section where the house is on pillars, so it's actually under the house. It would be dry, but still subject to New England moisture from snow and rain. I assume keeping it there would be a total mistake, right?

Thanks for letting me post here.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

48 is ok if you dont have a gate and not to tight but for that price its a great deal i would buy it but i would check in to a 36 it would save you money etc is it hydro or belt drive just guessing belt kawi engine? and also i would keep it in the garage
Old 06-19-2004, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, Kawasaki and belt-drive. Thanks for the tip. What should a low hour 36" run used (and what should this 48" go for)?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that 48 inch scag is a killer deal i would buy it if it was around here but a 36 inch scag should run abt 18 or 19 somewere in there what kind of bagger is it the alum or cloth? my scags now do about 40 hrs a week and one is abt 14 yrs old we have had it for that long so i would never worrie about hours. kawi is the only way to go on the engine.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

It is the metal bag. I don't have a truck so I'm a bit nervous about when it needs servicing, but I'll call around and see if I can find a place that can pick up and deliver before I commit. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Attached is a photo, in case you can tell if it has any other features or red flags.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Let's try again

Old 06-21-2004, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt worrie about service they are really easy to work on self explan you can change the belts on it in about 10-15 min no problem
Old 06-21-2004, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Seller agreed to $1950 delivered, so l'm jumping on it. Anything specific to look out for on the test drive?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Trust me it's a good deal and scags are very STRONG machines. There built like tanks. I just bought a 48" belt drive for $1200.00 that is about 8 years old with almost 800 hours on it. I took it apart and and cleaned it and painted it, even replaced all small parts and decales. Machine is like new now. It came tuned up with new belts, pullys,throttle cable and tires front and back. I'm very pleased with my new toy. Looking for a used 36" now but I'm in Rhode Island and everything I'm finding is 3 or more states away.
Have fun with your new toy!!!!