Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-21-2004, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is "trilliun" A Safe Product?

When I purchased my franchise, the owner told me that he has a ground water safe, biodegradable herbicide. He said that on toxicity scale caffeine is stronger. I was told the product was very safe and that it just happens to be on the "pesticide" side of the fence. Here's what is on the label:

TRILLIUN
Liquid turf herbicide
Commercial

Reg. # 18963
Pest control product act

Guarantee
2,4-D (isomer specific).............190g/L
Mecoprop (d-isomer)...............100g/L
Dicamba....................................18g/L
All present as dimethyl amines

Hazardous Ingredients (LD50)
2,4D...............................................1420 mg/kg 19%
2-propanoic acid (Mecoprop)............650 mg/kg 10%
Dicamba.........................................1039 mg/kg 1.8%

Plant Products Co. Ltd
314 Orenda Road
Brampton, Ontario
L6T 1G1

I'm wondering if I have been misled. Is this product safe?

I don't use and chemicals in my program, but the franchisor is recommending the above product.

Thanks, in advance Don
Old 06-21-2004, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is a full on chemical pesticide. You have to take chem free out of your title if you use it. But you can be a full service lawn care company that specializes in chem free. Make sure that your customer knows they are getting a chemical pesticide or you could be subject to legal action. You cant by law call that product safe even if you think it is,. that is a fact. You also must post the warning sign and not sell it as part of a chem of pesticide free prgm. and again, you will have to take chem and pesticide free out of your title (not here, in the real world i mean) if you use that even once.

2 questions. 1.
why was the product reccommended? What is the problem you are trying to solve that you were unable to organically.
2. Do you have a pesticide applicators licence? You certianly need one to use that product.

Again, this is not like vinegar where when it is used to kill plants it is "technically" a pesticide. Its a real pesticide, same stuff Weed Man and the like uses.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I understand that it is a herbicide. I do have my license. I,m just asking "how bad" the product is? Is it a possible carcinogen. I would like to go back at the franchisor with some info. He recommended the product to me when he heard I was pulling weeds by hand! I am chem free and will remain chem free, I just want some ammo to tell the other franchisees that the product is not as safe as they are led to believe.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh ok, thats cool. Um.. we dont usually get into that here but let me reccommend a site. C.A.P. Canadians Against Pesticides. lots of info on 2-4d i expect.

How much do you charge to pull weeds, I charge my labour rate of $25. per man per hr. Do you fill the divits the taproot tool leaves with seed soil mix? Or just leave it? What do you tell a customer with clover, we cant pull clover.

btw, did u get the service licence or just the applicator, seems like most just get an applicator licence. As we speak I am looking into getting licenced. also, why have a licence if you are chem free?
Old 06-21-2004, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
How much do you charge to pull weeds, I charge my labour rate of $25. per man per hr. Do you fill the divits the taproot tool leaves with seed soil mix? Or just leave it? What do you tell a customer with clover, we cant pull clover.
My program is inclusive: we offer a 100% money back guarantee for customer satisfaction. I tell the client that we do not offer miracles, but, at the end of the season they need to be "satisfied" that their lawn is improving. An average lawn (2500 ft2) would run about $500.00. I fit is really bad I add another $100.00. I do not fill the divots. (but I should charge for an extra aeration. ha, ha). For clover I tell them that over time the grass should out compete it, and that clover should not be a problem in an organic yard. (basically I tell them to not be so picky)

Quote:
btw, did u get the service licence or just the applicator, seems like most just get an applicator licence. As we speak I am looking into getting licenced. also, why have a licence if you are chem free?
I have my landscape license, I got it just in case some organic products get registered as herbicides and they try to enforce. (ie. cgm). I also got my biting fly license. Basically, I found both exams to be a joke! Which leads me to believe that anyone can get it with no basic knowledge of the trade. (but thats another thread)
Old 06-22-2004, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TRILLIUN is exactly the same as Killex or Par lll, just a different manufacturer. The answers are on the label.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
TRILLIUN is exactly the same as Killex or Par lll, just a different manufacturer. The answers are on the label
I don't know how you can say the answers are on the label! 1/2 of all the info I read says 2,4-D is a probable carcinogen were as the other 1/2 (the one's pushing the product) claim that it's safe as pie!
Old 06-23-2004, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, great point ! There is a lot more to this biz than what we get from the pesticide course or on the label which is why we are here to discuss it. Particularly we on the organic side want to minimimze or eliminate our usage of them so we have a different viewpoint.
but ty for heads up on the Killex deal, no idea why my dealers is selling Killex to pros when its less concentrated than an equivilant product. (Strangely the one other 3 way he sells is this Trillion)