Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2004, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote question

Totally green to the new biz (pun intended). Got a call yesterday from someone wanting only trimming and edging around walks, drive, and a fence. Owner already mows the lawn themselves. Property is a 1/4 of an acre. I am a VERY small company with little to no overhead. The job is bi-weekly. I told them somewhere around $15-$25 a job. Too low? I don't want to be a low-baller who steals business. What would the going rate for this type of job?
Old 06-22-2004, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

GREENGUY04
The best thing to do or what i would do is to measure all the trimming edges around the walks , drive and fence with a measuring wheel . This will give you how many square feet of trimming you will be doing. Then fiqure out how much you trim in a hour. Then price accordingly. I hope this gives you a idea or helps.
TRAILER AND STHIL EQUIPMENT

Old 06-22-2004, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry I meant feet ......Not Square feet....
TRAILER AND STHIL EQUIPMENT

Old 06-22-2004, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Way too low unless you can do the job in 15 minutes including drive time.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you may be a small company NOW with little to no overhead, but if you intend to grow, then you have to think big, and bill smart. regardless of how little you think your overhead is, it is probably more. Did you include all of these:

gas
equipment repairs
equipment replacement
equipment upgrades
advertising costs
insurance costs
vehicle
vehicle insurance
vehicle repairs
taxes
time

bottom line is, there is a basis to bill on, and without knowing how much yours is makes it hard to know if you are charging accordingly.

don't sell yourself short is all I am saying. You are in the business to be successful, so make sure to ensure that.

I'd say if it is every other week, I'd approximate (I'm guessing here) $30-$40, assuming I could do it in less than an hour including drive time. depending on how close you are to it, and how long it will take, that may vary.

good luck with the business, hopefully you help it grow!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I have to go and look at the property tommorrow evening and I will see how willing they are to increase the price. I am new to this and am feeling my way through the bidding process. I don't want to low ball anyone but at the same time, if I ask too much then they will go with someone else. Thanks again for your help!!
Old 06-22-2004, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

greenguy04

I have a customer just like that, and I accidentally underbid them at 20.00. Make sure you really take into consideration how much trimming and edging there is before you give the quote. It can seem like a 15 min job because you dont even have to mow, but really end up being 25 or 30 min work. Also take into consideration how much area the homeowner leaves behind around each object for you to trim. They might figure that now that they dont have to trim, they dont need to worry about mowing as close to things. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have one where all I do is stick edge and I get 25 a month for it , BUT it is next to a job that I do full service on and all I do is run the edger 28' further down the curb. Have to blow after but blew most of it any way because mower threw grass that far.
As far as going to do that only with no other work I would think I would have to go higher just to make the stop pay off. On most of my smaller lots the trimming takes almost as long as the mowing and is very important as to the look of the job when it is finished.
By the way, Don't worry to much about them going with someone else as most LOCs will not take this.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of your input. We settled the deal for $25 a job. The property is very small and we began talks for some small landscape type projects. I asked her to pass around the business cards so maybe the loss I take on this job will produce word-of-mouth advertising. Who knows. Thanks again for the input.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know that in the beginning it is hard not to take what you can get, but be carefull of giving jobs at a loss in expectation of future work. First, if it does not come than you lose and if it does come the customer thinks that you charge cheap and will want all other work as such. good luck with your endeavors.