Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2004, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

hours of paperwork....

i just got done with a stack of paperwork. took me 2 1/2 hours. ofcourse i don't get paid for this time i spend at the computer. do any of you factor in a charge somewhere for this, or is it something that will just always be.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

drive time cut time paper work is all planed when i give a bid. paper, ink, envelopes, and electricity, arnt free.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

everything is figured in for me as well. Of course I didn't start adding in the paperwork until last year
Old 06-23-2004, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, it's the cost of doing business.

Have your wife (if you're married) do it. I do all the paper work because I'd rather have Mark out making money.

My labor cost = two trips per year to the 18+ acre for as many plants as I can fit into my truck .
Old 06-23-2004, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's just part of the business...btw, do it each day and you won't be spending 2 1/2 hours at a clip. The only time I spend that much at one sitting is when I am doing my monthly invoicing.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

liberty,
my wife helps out, but she works full time also, goes to the local college full time, spend alot of time doing her own paperwork for her ebay store (she gets about 10 emails an hour sometimes), .......oh yeah, then there's the job of distracting my 16 month old daughter who loves to sit on my lap while i do paperwork . needless to say, i try not to ask her to do MY work, although she has many times.

rodfather,
i was doing the invoicing, but it was only half the accounts i run out of spit for my envelopes, i gotta invest in those fancy smancy peel off sticker envelopes. i always say i'm going to do my paperwork at the end of each day, including invoices that could go out that day, but I never do.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fga
liberty,
my wife helps out, but she works full time also, goes to the local college full time, spend alot of time doing her own paperwork for her ebay store (she gets about 10 emails an hour sometimes), .......oh yeah, then there's the job of distracting my 16 month old daughter who loves to sit on my lap while i do paperwork . needless to say, i try not to ask her to do MY work, although she has many times.

Yep, I know the deal. I work full time with an Advertising Agency, then part time with the local newspaper as a graphic artisist at the end of each month & do all the paperwork for Liberty.

We have a 2-1/2 year old who is hell on feet and a 12 year old who does several activities. The dog keeps the Gremlin busy.

You need to set-up a schedule with your wife so that you can sit down & do the paperwork and then schedule what gets done in that time. That's the only way I can manage it with going nuts.

Example: I invoice twice monthly, 15th & the last day of the month, with the customers divided into two groups depending on where they live. I do all estimates with in 2 days if humanly possible. I pay bills on or about the 5th & 20th of the month. One of us starts dinner while the other returns phone calls.

It's always a juggle, but hopefully, I'll be able to quiat my full time job in a year or two and work for Liberty & doing the graphics.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi fga,

What part of paperwork takes you the most time?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I just started using Quick books Pro it is saving me a lot of time on my monthly billing and I have not yet mastered the program. So far Quick books has taken much stress and wasted time out of my paperwork
Old 06-24-2004, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What does she sells on ebay? id it a good part time business?