Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2004, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

soybean meal for green up...

Following the theory that a protien in feed products is converted to nitrogen, then soybean meal at 48% protien is very effective for obtaining that deep green color to the turf.

I have been testing soybean meal this spring, and it IS very effective for greening up the turf...i observed some excellent results after a week.

After about 4 weeks passed, the deep green faded away.

i am building a back yard golf green/practice hole for a customer.

In late April We spray painted the outline of the green an onto the existing grass. I sprinkled soybean meal around the perimeter of the green (about 12 '' wide) i hoped to clearly establish the outline.
Two weeks later the perimeter of the green was deep dark green, i was really quite surprised that it really worked.

So i used the topsoil from digging out the sand traps to top dress the green and overseeded with bent grass. Two weeks later the bent started to sprout, but that deep green perimeter had disappeared. THree weeks following that the green was agaiin topdressed (with triple mix in bags) and overseeded again with bent, then another 10/1000 soybean meal over the whole green.

i showed up to cut today and that deep green was back on the whole putting surface, and the bent is growing like crazy.
Strangely enough black medic and clover are starting to appear...hmmm...seems to me that has something to do with low nitrogen

Anyway, it is still under construction, and has a way to go to surpass traditional european status but is shaping up reel nice.

I wonder why that amazing deep green fromthe soybean meal disappears so quickly, any thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2004, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

heres ashot from the other side...
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2004, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Woody, that looks great, plz tell me what you are going to do about the black medic. A topdressing / overseeding job went to heck in April due to the fact that black medic went nuts in the topdressing and grew so fast that the grass didnt have a chance. Is there an organic, or even a non- organic solution?? And were you serious about the low N, would you use a bridge product to get more N and would that really have given the grass an edge over the black medic?? ty very much for the pics and post. What about bone meal as an organic "starter fert" in addition to the organic fert you already used?