Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2004, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First Experiance With Edger!

Well I went out today and purchased a Stihl edger because I have been having requests for edging. I decided to go and try it on an old empty house with a large amount of overgrowth on the sidewalk. Lets just say I need to get some practice. I am not good at using this thing especially with a lot of overgrowth. Should the blade be making light contact with the curb at all times creating small sparks? How long do the blades last? I am supposed to be edging my first lawn in 2 days and it is a very nice lawn. I will lose the account if I screw it up. Please give me any advice you can on using this thing.

Thanks...
Old 06-24-2004, 02:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

A few sparks are OK. If the edge has not been done before than it will take a while to get it cut in. I have a big B&S 4hp edger for first time jobs. I use the stick for maintenance only. If that is all you have than take it slow and make many passes. Start straight up and down and make a pass to cut off the grass that is covering the sidewalk. If there is a lot, than you may want to sweep that up so it is out of the way. On your second pass go a little deeper and start to make the cut in the dirt. When I edge I tilt the edger so the top of the blade tilts out at the top just slightly ( to the grass) and the bottom of the blade will just scrape the concrete a tad. After a week or two you will just fly down the edge and you should not spark to much any more.
I do not edge much, only about 20 of my customer have concrete, the rest are asphalt or stone, but just over 2800 feet of edging a week and I put a new blade on each week.
Edging will give that finished-manicured look, I have picked up a few jobs because of that. The last guy did not do it.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

ok whats up with edgers? why can't you just use your trimmer and flip side it ? i use the flip method and my lines come out striaght andmake my lawns look awesome. i flip side everything. mulch beds driveways..etc. why buy another tool to do the same thing?it sounds like a waste of money to me.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Because you can do it faster and better with an edger. Some of the HOA's I do have 4" or more turf above the hardscapes. No way trimmer line is gonna cut a nice 90 degree angle through that. Plus a edger does not sandblast you while you are working.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PMLAWN, thanks a lot for the info. I have now done several lawns and I am now much better. It is easy to edge well groomed lawns. The people have been very pleased. I think purchasing an edger was a greast choice.
Straightlines, With an edger you get a much much better look. Trust me, I have been using my timmer as an edger for a long time.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imowstraightlines
ok whats up with edgers? why can't you just use your trimmer and flip side it ? i use the flip method and my lines come out striaght andmake my lawns look awesome. i flip side everything. mulch beds driveways..etc. why buy another tool to do the same thing?it sounds like a waste of money to me.
Why buy a hammer when a brick works just fine?

Why even buy a lawn mower!... your line trimmer will work!

do you see my point yet?

im guessing your one of the people i get a kick out of...
the kinda person you see using an ajustable wrench to hang a picture on the wall. or using a screwdriver as a prybar.

NO offence man, but theirs a reason they make edgers... cuz its the right tool for the job.
if you used one you would know its MUCH faster, comes out great everytime, looks pro., besides not getting dirt and rocks chucked at you.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

opps. i forgot to add 1 more thing
and it takes ALOT of wear and tear off your linetrimmer!
Old 06-25-2004, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will never use an edger. If you are weedwhacking the rest of the house, why go back to the truck to get an edger. Most properties have less than 150' of edging and its not worth it to change attachments. I use the trimmer, have been for 3 years and it has held up. I would say i go fast, a quick sidestep slide, and it looks just as good.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlandscaping
I will never use an edger. If you are weedwhacking the rest of the house, why go back to the truck to get an edger. Most properties have less than 150' of edging and its not worth it to change attachments. I use the trimmer, have been for 3 years and it has held up. I would say i go fast, a quick sidestep slide, and it looks just as good.
why would you change attachments?

if it works for you down thier i guess thats all that matters
Old 06-25-2004, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an echo weewhacker/ edger / bush trimmer half way down the shaft it comes apart to put the different attachments on. On a good try it takes <1 but sometimes the cable does line up inside and it takes a while.