Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2004, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro oil

I have a 48 hydro Bobcat WB and the hydro reservoir states 10w-30 which is what it currently has. I talked to my shop and they said syn 15-50. Why such a difference? Will the pumps run cooler? Is mobil 1 15-50 the better choice?

second post on your site and I must say that there is some great info here. Glad I found it.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i run 15-50 yes it stays cooler just go out and buy the cheep oil no need to throw big dollars around in oil my oil reservoir is pretty good size like 6 qt or soemthing so i just get the cheep stuff
Old 06-24-2004, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hydro oil

Mobil 1 15-50 in my surfer. Seems to run better, smoother and cooler. I pay $ 4.00 per quart, with a 5 qt. reservoir. About $ 8.00 for the filter. I change it twice a year.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Cheap oil is fine but it has to be changed because it gets cooked and sooty under any pressure like cooking oil; the synthetic stuff seems more like a plastic that melts back into itself. A mechanic told me off when we put synthetic into an old 20hp kohler, "mineral oil and synthetic oil don't mix, never put both together and never change an engine from its first kind of oil"
Why don't they put that on the friggin' oil label?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shopbytch, They don't put that on the oil label because it's not true! Many mechanic's are "all knowed up" on oil, many don't know squat. The most common reply I get about oil from mechanic's is "been using blank oil for thirty years and don't see any reason to change now." Also engine and mower manufacurers many times have "deals" with oil companies.

It will also depend on which tech rep you talk too as to what oil to use, or what is recomended, all within the same company. Most times they give you their own opinion as to which is recomended. I have called Kohler and talked to a service rep and asked them what oil do they recomend, called back 20 minutes later get a different rep and get a different answer.

Ask any LCO with many employee's which is the best mower and you will just as likely get many different brands as being the best.

Ask the manufacturer what they have documented as to which to use.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

i read an item in a magazine where they were testing oils...
they put 2 or 3 different oils in a truck and tested it on a dyno..
the mobil oil gave more torque and hp...
i completely cleaned out my engine of oil and put in mobile 10-40 and i do get slightly (very slightly) better mpg.. as for the power increase, i didnt expect it to be anything i would notice.. but did notice the mpg increase.. over time.. it was not a significant increase.. but and increase is an increase...
so mobile is what i run in every engine on my place... except for my farm tractors.. they all run rotella-d...
but these are trucks and cars... at our shop, we use mobil oil...unless a mfr specifies something else...
but this is all just my opinion...a "knowed up mechanic"...
Old 06-28-2004, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

hey reneckn, what kind of mpg better did you wind up getting? 1 or 2 mpg? that sees good imho.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I recently changed to syn. (@147K) in my car and for the past 3 fillups I had 3 MPG more than my ave for the past 3 years. I also changed to syn. 10-30 in my 14 hp kawi and now it starts first pull every time. It was always a 2+ puller. I have read plenty of "oil" articles on the comparisons and am now syn. all the way.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt ever put money in to syn for a mower you dont run it long enough for the full effect...
Old 06-28-2004, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah but now you dont need to change oil as often, only once a year or every 2 years. less time needed for maint