Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-25-2004, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki 12.5 fb460v wont stay running...

Hi im new to lawnsite and im posting because i have just dismounted a kawasaki fb460v 12.5 hp engine off of an 1989 john deer sx95 rear engine riding lawn mower and i remounted the engine on my 1962 Snapper comet rear engine rider. Well i tryed to start it and it would not start even with the choke on so i put some gas down the carb and it started for a few seconds and shut off, now that the engine is not hooked up to the john deere i had to bypass certain safety switches such as the nueatral start switch and the seat switch, and it works. Sometimes it will start and run until you shut the key switch off and when i try to start it back up it would not start, so is it the fuel pump or something in the carb.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-25-2004, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does this engine have a fuel solenoid on the carb? If so how is it wired up to the Snapper?
Old 06-26-2004, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Member

yes it does have a fuel solenoid on the carb, and it is wired through the origional wiring harness that came off the old john deere sx 95
Old 06-26-2004, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The fuel solenoid may be the problem. You need to have power to it when starting the engine and when the engine is running. Hook up a test light to the fuel solenoid and see if you are getting power when starting (starter turning) and when it is running. I have see cases where the engine would start because the fuel solenoid had power when starting but as soon as you let go of the switch it died when the starter dropped out. I have also see cases where you could pour gas in the carb to start the engine and once it started it would run just fine because the fuel solenoid was not getting power at start up. The reason I am looking at the electrical system as the problem is because this engine is a transplant and the electrical system gives the most problems in these cases. Good luck
Old 06-28-2004, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Member

thank you fixer67, ever since you posted that first reply it got me thinking that it possibly was stuck and gumed up from siting in the weather, so i tested it and its geting power but wasn't starting so i took the fuel solenoid off and cleaned it up and sure enough it was stuck. arter i cleaned it i put it back on and sure enough it stared and ran like iy was a new engine. what made it run even better was a new spark plug and new fuel filter, this saved me 60 bucks because i thought it was the fuel pump but wasn't so now its all tip top. thanks again fixer67