Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2004, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

sand soil

I have a customer with at least a foot of sand underneath his lawn. I guess the builder chose that instead of topsoil. He has been doing everything right as far as watering and mowing go, but his lawn still struggles because of the sand. I'm in utah and because the soil is so salty here polymers aren't really an option.
Any ideas of what we could try to get his lawn healthy and green long term? Thanks
Old 06-26-2004, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Way to Grow

Welcome to the Sandy Soil Club. Horticulture Gypsum will get rid of the salt if it is not a water quality problem. Water Quality must be addressed first before you can really do anything. Now USGA Golf Greens are 94% sand so there is plenty of info on sandy soil. It lacks chemical holding power (CEC) and water holding power (Hydraulic conductivity). Now you are not trying to grow putting greens so by adding a organic compost top dressing on a regular basic you can increase (SOM) soil organic matter. SOM has more Chemical and water holding power.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I work on a golf course that sits on about 15 FEET of native sand, and even after 10 years I have to remind myself how much faster EVERYTHING is absorbed and used. Maybe increase nitrogen amounts and watering times. Like Ric said use gypsum to correct salt problem. Using gypsum will not change soil ph. Do a soil test and make sure calcium levels are correct. Sandy soil is synonomous with low calcium levels. Also, something to think about, try mowing without removing clippings. Recent research has shown that grass clippings do not contribute to the thatch layer as previously thought but actually help build OM(organic matter, humus.) Soil tests are an absolute must.