Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2004, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ZTR spray rig?

I have my ZTR spray rig all set up except for my agitator system. I have a 3/4" pipe thread on my tank that I need to run an agitator to. Would any of you guys know where to get an agitator that would work with that size inlet to my tank and how would you plumb, or attach the agitator to the tank? Thanks for the help.

I need to install an agitator to help my sprayer maintain a steady spray pressure. When I try to use the spray rig right now, The pump builds up pressure quicker than my spray nozzles can bleed pressure off. What winds up happening is the pump builds up to shut off pressure and momentarily shuts off. The nozzles then have a chance to bleed the pressure down enough for the pump to turn back on again and then the cycle repeats itself over and over again. Consequently, instead of a steady spray pattern, I'm getting a pulsating spray pattern. I figure that if I had an agitator installed, it would bleed enough pressure off the system so that the pump wouldn't shut off.

Just so you know. I'm using a North Star 26 gallon tank that Northern Tool sells.

Vic

Last edited by Victor; 06-27-2004 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Victor, I put a tee in my line after the pump with a valve and a hose on it that returns to the tank. This helps act as an agitator, and I turn the valve down to where the pump is always on and I am getting 30lbs of pressure to my nozzles. Dan
Old 06-27-2004, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Dan

I really do appreciate the help. I'll stop by my local TSC to get the supplies to do that, so I can finish setting up the rig today.

I also need to space my nozzles out further , so that their patterns don't overlap. I read on the Momentum label that overlapping it during application is not recommended. I'll probably make a separate boom that I'll be able to install strictly for Momentum apps.

Vic
Old 06-27-2004, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Victor, here's how mine looks. Dan
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2004, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow Dan

I like your set up. You have the same tank that I have. I'm not sure what pump you're running, but I bought a 3GPM Shurflo.

What pump and nozzles are you running? The tees and fittings I see in your pic look like garden hose fittings. I love the fact that you can shut off flow with the internal valves that the garden hose tee has built into it.

I'm also looking at that big diameter intake hose that pulls chemical solution out of your tank. My tank came with a small 3/8" draw tube (that feeds my pump) coming out of it. Did your tank come with a draw tube that big, or did it come with a small one and you just replaced it?

Sorry about all the questions, but I love your set up.

Vic
Old 06-27-2004, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Victor, thanks for the compliment. This is just for my personal use. I am using a Shurflo 1.8 gal. pump. It is plenty to supply the hand wand or the spray bar on the back that has 3 Delavan 00073-1004 nozzles that put out .26 gpm. at 30 psi. each. The nozzles are 18 in. high and spaced 20 in apart. I have it mounted on a 44 in. Hustler Fastrak, so I can cover almost 5 ft. at a swath. I have a 1/2 in. hose feeding the pump[black hose] and it came that way. I got mine from Atwoods, but bought most of the fittings from TSC.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks again for the info Dan. I can't wait to get mine set up!

Vic
Old 06-27-2004, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to have a presure regulator and a return bypass line. The return line is the agitation.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info guys

I plumbed in the bypass return line, hooked up the reg and gauge, and it works great! I've got two Turfjet .5 GPM nozzles on the boom right now. My pressure is set to 30 like you guys recommended. I'm getting a good, strong, consistant pattern now. From what I've seen, I'm probably going to be better off with close to 1 GPM nozzles like Dan has on his rig. If nothing more than to be able to put down product at the same rate as I can now, but while going faster.

Vic
Old 06-27-2004, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Victor, I have the same type of pump on my sprayer. I took the red wire off the pump switch and wired it direct to the pump. The pump now runs all the time and I use my regulator to allow the excess to pump back into the tank. It works much better now and likely isn't as hard on the motor.