Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2004, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

$40 a month?

OK I have been trying to get into this business and came across an opportunity to bid on a persons yard. The bid was to include mowing, weeding, edging, and cleanup. The yard hasn't been touched for around a month, so the grass and weeds are out of control. The tallest parts of the yard are around 2 feet high! No kidding. So anyway, I quote this guy a one time fee of $150 for initial cleanup and $150 a month for maintenance. The yard is of standard residential size and the drive is about twnety minutes. Well, long story short, I got out bid. The company that outbid me is going to charge a one time fee of $100 and $40 a month. I thought I bid ok, it might be a little high, but taking in to consideration the time it will take, I thought it to be fair. Any thoughts? Is $40 a month a more fair price? Need advice PLEASE!
Old 06-28-2004, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

You say $40.00 a month. Is that mowing once a month.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, the guy was told that the property would only need mowed, and trimmed once a month. I am here in souther SC and it rains ALOT. I know that the yard will need to be serviced at least every two weeks. I think that $40 a month is way too low. I wouldn't do it for such a low price. What would a fair quote have been?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow , 40 a month?... 40 a week maybe ......
Old 06-28-2004, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$40 a month would'nt cover my drinking money for a week.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would forget it and move on......this customer is going to get what he pays for.....

I have a minimum of $30 per visit. I have a couple of very small condo yards I maintain 2x per month. Still they pay $30 even if I am there for 10 minutes....

Set your prices and quote them.......if the customers don't like them then they can go elsewhere....of course your work quality will have to support your prices.

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 06-28-2004, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

The other guy is right - just move on. I started doing landscape maintenance 6 years ago and heard my share of 'the kid next door will do it for $10 cheaper' or another contractor placed a bid below the amount I knew I could make money on the job. I used to second guess them and really spend a lot of time on it.

My advice, bid a price where you know your comfortable making money on the job - set a minimum. People respect that and know they get what they pay for - the clients will come - there are plenty of them out there.

I know do hydroseeding exclusively and still hear that someone else is cheaper, and in the end they end up coming back because cheap usually means cutting corners.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

just decide what you need to charge and stick to it the ones out there lowballing everyone won't last long because you typically don't get quality work at a bargain and as for myself my cheapest rate is $20 per week no matter how small ,I won't set foot on the lawn for any less
Old 06-30-2004, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know the size of a "standard residential lawn" in your area, but if drive time is 20 minutes one way, even your $150 a month may have been a bit low. The other bid is from outer space. Once a month? Amazing.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice. I must admit at first I felt a little foolish for bidding that high, but after reading this I feel it was a fair quote. The owner will get what he has paid for, bad service. And the company who underbid me will work their tails off for a measly $40 a month. Thanks for the help.