Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-04-2004, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

have you ever thought about hanging the weed wacker inside the trailer? that way you won't bang it up if you going down a driveway and there are some bushes and trees along it.

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Questions answered and a little history

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Lew
PW....I really like your setup!.....as far as the Lowes 5x8 trailer goes...did you purchase it at Lowes? May I ask how much?
Thanks....God Bless
No the trailer did not come from Lowe's. There is a group of guys in Nashville building and selling them.

Cost was $540+tax hooked up, ready to go.

Quote:
Originally posted by lawnjockey51
Just curious, why would a mini-van, that can have the seats removed and store all kinds of stuff in, be more "hilarious" than a 98 Cutlass with a trimmer hang'n out of the trunk and the lid tied down.
I could understand that Mini-Van setup working quite well.

Just for the record, a little history I think would help better explain how I got to this situation. (FWIW of course).

I purchased my Vibe in June of 2003 for the sole task of handling the 45-mile one-way commute to my full time job. The Vibe proved to be superior to the Blazer I had previously for this task. The Vibe also does very well when it is time for me, the wife and my two kids want to go somewhere together. The Blazer I had was a 98 model with 135K on the odometer and was shot. I managed to get it to the dealer/shop where the repair bills to make it drivable and safe exceeded the worth of the vehicle (by almost twice!). I inquired about trading and through the rebates and discounts available at the time a trade was negotiated, and I was very pleased with the outcome.

Fast forward to spring 2004-
1. My fulltime job company had "downsized" and reduced the pay rate by 6% for everyone and cut out all overtime. This hit the billfold pretty hard and generated lots of extra time not known of for 10 years+.
2. My WallieWorld push lawnmower had proven to be a bigger POS than ever expected, I was tired of rigging it and dealing with itís weight (it was supposed to be self-propelled which was way to slow, and pushing that beast was a chore).
3. My father-in-law was diagnosed with colon cancer during the winter and was not able to mow his own lawn for a while. He has since gone into remission and has bought himself a new Husqvarna LT.
4. My sister needed help keeping up her lawn.

With these 4 reasons I found myself searching for a good commercial grade mower so hopefully it would be my ďlastĒ mower. I know this is wishful thinking since Iím only 34 and it is unreasonable to expect any mower to last 30 years+. The whole time I was shopping I had the idea of pursuing other peopleís lawns for extra money in the back of my head due to reason #1 noted above, which also fueled the quest for a commercial grade mower.

It didnít take long to find myself at the eXmark dealer and the pictures tell the rest of the story. I have 5 regular accounts now and a few more calling me ďas-neededĒ or about once a month, my sisterís and mine which gives me 7 total yards Iím maintaining.

I know this is small by the standards portrayed at this site, but hey, I still consider myself just starting out and Iím actively pursuing more work for me and my eXmark.

Like I said. Iím posting this FWIW which is absolutely nothing to most, just thought Iíd share a little history.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TClawn
have you ever thought about hanging the weed wacker inside the trailer? that way you won't bang it up if you going down a driveway and there are some bushes and trees along it.
Some sort of upgrade is definitely needed, havenít decided on which route to take yet though. I would like to make some sort of mount for on top of the front rail *shrugs*
LawnSite Member

nevermind - tried posting during forum malfunction
LawnSite Member

nevermind again
Old 08-04-2004, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

YOU DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO!!!

Hey PW
Your rig is a lot nicer. than what I started with, Keep on Keeping and the accounts will come and your need to upgrade will be there.
I started with a 21" push mower and a street broom, and it work for me. Didn't have a trailer, had to haul it all in the back of my truck, I really thought I hit the big times when I bought me a Craftsman and a weed eater blower. Man I was in Lawn Heaven. I guess what I am saying you have to start somewhere and it looks like you got a good start. Good Luck and God Speed.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well you should see my setup 2002 hyundai elantra pulling a 1971 litle dude trailer 6x8 foot that I restored.I have a 48" JD GS45 along with all my gas can trimmer, blower, rototiller arins push and cubcadet push. I get some strange looks but, at least I didn't bury myself in debt so I'll be in business next year and hoping to go full time.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Rock on Meathead

Old 08-06-2004, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Best of luck to you both.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

PW, here's my 5X8 with at 32" metro, 2 21" toros. Same trimmer rack as you've got, from Lowes. I also got a Jungle Jim's Blower Mate, it works great. It's a small trailer, but anything bigger wouldn't be necessary...Good Luck to you.
Attached Images