Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2004, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Finding good employees with experience

Well guys this is my problem. I have hired white guys the past couple of years and they all show up, work well for a month, then goof off for the next two months then quit. I paid them around $9-10 hr and I offer them more if they learn and act civilized. My main goal was to get them to learn my route and mow it. That never happened until I met some guatamelans. It took several adds in the paper and about 25 interviews before I met one foreigner, mostly all the other people that applied were white boys with drug and alcohol problems or black guys that didnt want to work or also had other issues. Im very happy with my guatamelan, especially since he has three brothers which later came to work for me. Only one of them can speak/understand english and he can do it just barely. I have to talk really slow and use some spanish my self. Jose is paid $13.00 so i treat him pretty well since he translates to his brothers, though he doesnt like correction, . IM trying to get these guys to do quality work by themselves like installing retaining walls, patios, landscape installs etc.. but it seems difficult like he either cant handle the task, cant understand me, or just seems like if he did do the job it would look like he did it, unprofessiopnal. Perfection is not what these guys strive for and they get frustrated with me because I just want the job done right. So I guess what Im getting at is, ...... is it really possible to put your business in the hands of a "Jose", and expect good work all the time or do I need to keep on looking for better guys. I just dont want to be their breaking my back every day, Im not sure if its because I dont like the work or I just see this stumbling block before me like Im always gonna be doing the work, which is never what I intended this business to create for me. Any help would be appreciated, thanks Paul

Old 07-03-2004, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Although I don't like how you refer to your employees, i understand what ur going through,,,.. if it were me,,and i 1099 all my guys currently. You have to understand that you are the manager of this thing... If things dont go right,,then YOU have to deal with it,,not them...

THe botom line is,,noone will do as good a job for your comopany as you will. Thats it...So maybe thinking they can do as good as a job as you is a little over board,,,but you should be able to crack a little whip to keep them above par..the competition is at par,, and you don't want to be average.. So crack your whip a little,, but don't go over board unelss you need to..stay on them with a little push,,if they leave they leave,,keep them happy and they probably won't....

your not asking to much,,no,,good luck!
Old 07-04-2004, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Husky,

I'm also in your area and I like your advice about this matter. I need to know if you have any hints on finding labor here in our area. I have had a couple of guys working for me for the last couple of years and you know they will eventually move on. I am starting to sweat about next year. I would also like to grow a notch bigger next year and I will need even more than the two possible replacements.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For a cool 85K a year I will show up every day and run it all!

J/K, I feel your pain as I have the same problems keeping guys -full time-everyday-hard at work-and knowing how. In the handyman field I found a few guys after a few years so keep it up and they will come. Just try to stay around till that happens, It can be an up-hill battle so good luck.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I am assuming you are going to need full-time employees? It hard,,well,, real hard i find it to get and keep 1099 employees. They don't want to get shot at the end of the year with all the taxes they didn't keep over the year. So I guess what I'm saying is it would be wondeful to have 2 guys full time and do a w-2..Have you done this before? I can walk you through the steps if you need me too,,give you all the contact info you need to get you going, cause your going to need to do the tax thing with them, just l4et me know,,it looks like a head ache,,but its really not that bad after ur setup with your state and federal things that u need....

Advice on finding people? We'll thats tough,,I am considering myself still a heavy rookie. But the people I use,,,especially in the spring when all that mulch is going down, I use younger kids,,,if you only use them once,,,its ok and perfectly legal,,,up to a certain amount,, to pay them under the table if you didnt like them that one day they worked....I have used kids usually from 16 to 18 cause it seems that juniors and seniors in high school get out earlier and earlier these days... that worked great,,,for a full full time employee,,ive only got one working for me,,and he works as a laborer on a construction site...so,,i guess if i needed him i could use him...

You can always run an add in the paper,,or if u know somebody,,ive always heard that family is not a good idea,,but ive never used them,,so i wouldn't know...

where in virginia? Im real close to manassass
Old 07-11-2004, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They are hard to find, but the couple of females I have worked with in the past were very good employees. I think because they feel they constantly have to prove themselves to everyone. Worked with this one girl, weighed maybe 100 pounds soaking wet, and she put most of the other men to shame.

Oh, if I could find me a good girl I'd be set...