Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-02-2004, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

fertilizer for my sick lawn

is July in the south a bad or good time for fertizing? This co. that is spraying my lawn is not using any fertilzer, just pesticides and fungicide.

I think after the next couple months, I will cancel them and take it over myself.

Someone told me that after all that bug damage the lawn would benefit from some fertizer to help it grow back (IF it can grow back that is)

ok ok ok , it was chemlawn that told me that and I know they were trying to convince me i needed their services. If this is not the case, just lemme know. but......

I was going to use scotts with summerguard but after seeing how odd it looked I did some research and discovered several people have had problems with it. Scotts switched providors this year and they didn't quite get it right. I've seen lesco brand at the stores, but don't know much about them. I could try the regular scotts turf builder which is still the old formula, or the lesco. I don't think I can get my hands on any other brands as i'm not in lawn maintenance business.

(st. augustine)
Old 07-03-2004, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

So, I set my automatic sprinkler system to water each of the four zones for 15 minutes each every other day. It starts at about 6:30 - 7am.

I'm confused about how a lawn should be watered. I see the ill results of overwatering the back where the shade doesn't allow to dry very well (fungus) but have read that deep watering once a week is best (1 hour) and will promote the roots to grow deep.

It seems every body tells me something different. Isn't lawn care supposed to be a science? I mean, people go college to learn this stuff!!!

anyway, still hoping someone will answer my fertilizer question but with the holiday weekend, that may not happen. I should change my userid to "lawnOCD" lol

have a great 4th of July, folks!
Old 07-03-2004, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Without knowing what your specific soil needs are and if you are certain that Chemlawn isn't putting any fertilizer down, you could try this:

As a general rule, turf grass soils require the main nutrients N-P-K in a ratio of about 3-1-2. You could find just about any brand of fertilizer for example 24-8-16 or 21-7-14 and put it down at a rate that will give you roughly 1 lb of N per 1000 sq ft of turf.

This is a very basic prescription but it's a very common one and is usually safe way to start.

And its ok to fertilize in July, just make sure it gets watered properly. Less frequent but deeper waterings are best
Old 07-03-2004, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the fertilizer 101.

chemlawn is not treating my lawn, btw, they just talked to me on the phone pushing their services.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

No one can tell you how often to water. Different areas will retain moisture at different rates, lawns will require different watering frequencies at different times of the year, all irrigation systems are different...ect. Let the grass tell you when it needs water and water at first sign of wilt. Signs of wilt to look for are grass blades folding in half lengthwise, blue-gray appearance to areas, footprints remaining long after being made. Florida soils will typically hold 1" of water in the top 12" of soil. In order to help develop a root system that is 8" deep, apply 3/4" of water per application.

If you have damaged areas in the lawn then a little bit of Nitrogen will go a long way in promoting growth into these areas. A complete fertilizer on the lawn is fine this time of year but I would recommend a slow release fertilizer since the lawn is already growing well, no need to push out a lot of top growth thus stunting root developement. Chemlawn will apply liquid urea to your lawn which is a quick release nitrogen. Try finding a company that applies slow release granular fertilizer. Good Luck!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks, lawnguy. I will use granular maybe next week but not until I cancel with hullet and am totally sure they haven't spread any fertilzer.

i appreciate the advice!
Old 07-22-2004, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Soooo,blackthumb.................

How's the lawn these days?????
Old 07-22-2004, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

no better, but no worse either. holding steady. that spray co. did the 2 applications and i haven't canceled them yet but i just got around to it. So they will come and spray again in about a month.

I haven't fertilized yet either. waiting for this weekend to pass sinced all my time and energy has been going towards planning this party for saturday.

chemlawn is harassing me to switch to them... but my husband did a good job of telling them to shove off the last time they called. that's about all the news I got.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, no worse is good news then.
You should pat your husband on the back and say "good job honey for telling chemlawn to shove off."
I'd have used a different adjective in front of "off" but...............
Enjoy the party.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

What disease does your lawn have? If they are spraying fungicide on your lawn maybe thats why your not getting any fert put on the lawn right now.