Register free!

Old 11-10-2004, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Losing 1" a day in the pond!!!!!

Is it possible to lose 1" of water a day with a pond that has a 30' stream/waterfall attached to a 15x15 pond.

I have checked for leaks for a week now and cannot find nothing.]

Also if I turn the pump off and not let the stream run then my problems are fixed, but I have checked the stream/waterfall and can not find nothing.

There is alot of water that is wetting the area around the water return that is keeping the rocks and patio wet.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I would check at all of the pump connections and housings. Do you have a skimmer in your pond? Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

if you are getting enough splash to keep the patio wet than 1" of water could easily be lost. should easily be able to fix this by adjusting some of the rock material. if that doesn't help you may need to put a ball valve in line to adjust the overall flow, thus reducing spash.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Will putting a ball valve cause the pump to go bad by restricting the water flow?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

From your description, the loss is not from the pond itself. Good news for you! I agree that the splash could cause 1'' of loss, and so could one tiny spot in the stream. You should be able to track it down or re-direct the flow to minimize the splash. Restrict the flow only if the pond still looks cool.
Good luck.
By the way, I'm sure we'd all love to see a pic! Sounds like a big pond.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah, i agree. i would only put a ball valve in as a last resort. Although it won't really hurt anything and that is a simple add on, it is just extra when 9 times out of 10 it can easily be fixed by adjusting the rocks and or water flow.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can easily loose an inch a day through evaporation alone.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLC
Will putting a ball valve cause the pump to go bad by restricting the water flow?

not at all. a pump only needs 2gpm/hp to keep cool.
so for a 1/2 hp pump you only need to have 1gpm to keep it cool.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 11-14-2004, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

We had the same problem with a pond/stream waterfall one of our crews installed earlier this year. The owner elected to go with a pump 3 times stronger that what was needed. It turned out nice but the high volume pump pushed a lot of water over the fall creating a lot of noise and splash. At first we checked the liner level around the pond to make sure its at the right hight. We put tape in the skimmer box and marked the time and water level to keep track since the water level is in relation to the overflow/drain line level. We were losing more than an inch a day when the system was running but it was holding just right when it was off. So we looked further up stream and found that the waterfall dropped 3' and created a lot of splash so we widened the upper pond. It did better but we were still loosing water. We checked the overlaps in the liner going up the stream. Everything looked good so why were we loosing water? It ended up being back under the waterfall against the wall where the liner was turned up. A lot of the splash was splashing back there and into the gap. That was it...

So I would first check your liner level around your pond. If it holds just fine with minimal evaporation then I would look at the overlaps up your stream and the check the liner back under the fall. It doesn't hurt checking or resealing where the liner fastens to the skimmer box.

Keep in mind with capillary action a little leak in dry soils can wick about 2 feet in any given direction.

Oh A ball valve won't solve water loss.

On all of our new systems we are putting a french toilet float in the skimmer box to keep adding water to the pond when it needs it. Customers will always complain about water loss due to evaporation on those sunny 90 degree days so this should solve that.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a number of variables in this that could affect how much water is being lost, but it sounds as if it's being lost from excess splash. Unless if you have overkill on the amount of water you're pouring over the waterfall, I wouldn't want to ruin something that looks good by restricting the flow to a trickle.

You may have to overlap some liner on the sides of your waterfall, or stream, if the splash is excess. Sometimes you just don't realize how much splashing there is until things start to freeze.

This is a pic showing some of the frozen water splash around a waterfall at my place.
Attached Images