Register free!

Old 07-04-2004, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question Weeds in driveway

I have about 250 foot of driveway going to my pole barn. Recently I covered it with about three inches of lime-stone. The weeds are already popping through. What is the best way to control weeds besides spraying.

Some time ago I read a post on Lawn Site that questioned how to keep weeds from growing in the dirt in-field areas of the local baseball field. Someone suggested spreading salt.

Would this work?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Craig
Old 07-04-2004, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, salt will work. So will gasoline, diesel fuel and used motor oil. But it is more damaging to the enviroment than Roundup. These home remedies are dangerous.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Weeds

Quote:
Originally posted by dan deutekom
Yes, salt will work. So will gasoline, diesel fuel and used motor oil. But it is more damaging to the enviroment than Roundup. These home remedies are dangerous.
deutekom, Are there other alternatives to salt and chemical weed killer such as round-up, or is salt my best answer.

Craig
Old 07-04-2004, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Re: Weeds

Quote:
Originally posted by craigs lawncare
deutekom, Are there other alternatives to salt and chemical weed killer such as round-up, or is salt my best answer.

Craig

Excuse Me for I am in pain right now and I am not in the best of modes.

Craig

Read Dan's post and use you head. Don't keep it where the sun doesn't shine. The man told it will work but was not safe for the environment.

You have been a member here long enough to of hear or read the words Pre-Emerge herbicide. If you are not licensed then hire someone who is, or get down on your hands and knees and pull them by hand. In life you earn more with you head than your back

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Horticultural vinegar. Jury's still out on that one for me. Works but it is $$$$$$ and it dosn't kill perrenial weeds
Old 07-05-2004, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Re: Weeds

Quote:
Originally posted by Ric
Excuse Me for I am in pain right now and I am not in the best of modes.

Craig

Read Dan's post and use you head. Don't keep it where the sun doesn't shine. The man told it will work but was not safe for the environment.

You have been a member here long enough to of hear or read the words Pre-Emerge herbicide. If you are not licensed then hire someone who is, or get down on your hands and knees and pull them by hand. In life you earn more with you head than your back
Thanks Ric, LawnSite couldn't operate without friendly members such as yourself giving such kind words of wisdom.

Actually I was looking for a response to what would work for killing the weeds in my driveway.
With respect to Dan Deutekom, he gave me nothing environmentally friendly to use. Neither did you. You gave me nothing but a smart a$$ed answer.
Since you seem to have so much time on your hands to respond negatively to posts, maybe you should take a few classes in typing and english 101.
Judging by your last post to me, you could use a little help.

Craig
Old 07-05-2004, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Weeds

Quote:
Originally posted by dan deutekom
Horticultural vinegar. Jury's still out on that one for me. Works but it is $$$$$$ and it dosn't kill perrenial weeds
Thanks Dan for the response.
Are there other ways to kill weeds besides horticultural vinegar?

Thanks!

Craig
Old 07-05-2004, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Craig

You tree Hugger Kill Me. You won't use Roundup because it is an environmentally safe Pesticide, Yet you will put salt into the water table. Hello this is the 21th century. Pesticides are getting safer for the environment each and everyday. However it is the misuse and not the chemical that causes the problem.

Facts be known, you eat more Pesticide each day on your food. In winter when you eat fresh vegetables they more than likely come from Latin America where Chlordane is used on food crops.

Thanks for the English 101 advice. English is my second Language so I am not as skilled with it. However I do not own a calculator.

BTW My eye is feeling better today but I will see the Doctor tomorrow about it. Thanks for asking.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Steam machine= gasoline motor for water pump + diesel burner to heat water and a lot of time with poor results. Also small motors and uncontrolled burning of fuels are bad for environment.

Propane infra-red burner=uncontrolled burning of petroleum product (bad for environment) and a lot of time and poor results

I would go with the Round up because it is the safest, most cost effective, efficient and envirometally best way. It also has about a 95% to 100% effective kill with proper use.

Chemical dosn't mean bad
Old 07-05-2004, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
However it is the misuse and not the chemical that causes the problem.
MISUSE being the key word here...

i agree, a few shots of round-up aint gonna hurt nuthin', except the weeds.

Or even simpler, just go at them with a weedwhacker once in a while, eventually they weeds will croak. just make sure you wear eye protection!