Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: How old were you when you started?
12-15 101 35.94%
16-20 64 22.78%
21-25 41 14.59%
26+ 75 26.69%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2004, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are 2 fellas here locally that started out just like you. One sold his business in his senior year of high school for $100k. Save your money and go to whatever school you want, dude. If you really want to, you can start over.......
Old 09-14-2004, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

this is my first full year in busniess with my sister-so far so good.

I'm hoping to take the busniess in the direction of strictly spring cleanups, mowing, and fall cleanups.

Right now we do that, plus lots of small grunt work jobs here and there, and manage 2 full time residential clients.

but it's all about learning what you do and don't want to do, right?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm not trying to cut you kids down on here and i'd really do hope the best of luck and some of them kids get on here and say they make top $$$ and it not true at all lol ...i mean i'm 40 and have about 18 accounts and making okay but some kid come on here and say he making $40.000 and got 44 accounts jeez come on .lol
Old 10-04-2004, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Heck.....I mowed my nieghborhood lawns from 10 to 16 yrs. old...8 to 10 accounts a week..I even had 3 commercial jobs at some factories where I lived...Commercials had anywhere from 3 to 5 acres of grass areas. Me and my little 20" k-mart lawnmower and the old steel gas can would walk 2 miles to the factories. It took 2 damn days to mow 1 commercial job. They paid me a $100.00 each. that was a million dollars to me back in the early 70's. Then most of the surrounding factories were approaching me wanting me to mow their grass...I had to turn them down. It was killing me....I tried to stick with residential......
Old 10-12-2004, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

2 years into it as part time

I started 2 years ago, and am slowly building equipment. I have 8 solid customers that I do bi-monthly, and the occasional add-ons. I would love to have a ZTR, but it will be awhile before I can afford it. I really like doing lawn maintenance and it is quick money for a little sweat. I'm retired Army, and my full time job is developing training doctrine for the Army. I would like to be able to go full time lawn maintenance within the next two years, and I have picked up a lot of useful information on this forum. I haven't had a dis satisfied customer, because I put a lot of effort into detail on my customer's properties. My current equipment is probably a joke to most of you, but I'm trying to save up for better stuff.

1993 Ford F 150
4x12 trailer
John Deere L110 w/bagger
John Deere STX 38
Stihl Handheld Blower
Toro Self Propelled 22" bagger
Ryobi Straight Shaft Trimmer
Husqvarna 322 Trimmer
Murray Edger
2300 PSI Pressure Washer
and assorted other lawncare goodies

Mike
Old 10-15-2004, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

When I started

Hi,
Like many here, I first started mowing my parent's lawn. I was around 10 at the time. It wasn't long before I found a couple neighbors who were more then willing to pay me to do their lawns as well. Initially I started by using my father's mower, but I was able to buy a good used 21" push mower by the end of that cutting season. I mowed a couple lawns and delivered news papers till I was in my mid teens when I went on to other things. Now, several decades later, I find myself a participant in the corporate downsizing. About two years ago, I decided to replace my aging lawn care equipment I used for my own yard. I could see the writing on the wall where I worked, so I bought some insurance in the form of a 14' trailer, a Hustler Mini Z, two Toro two cycle push mowers, two Maruyama trimmers, a Maruyama hedge trimmer, a Jonsereds chain saw, a Husquevarna back pack blower and several hand tools. I figured this stuff would work great in my own yard, and if I was to ever be laid off from work, I could go in business for myself. Well, guess what. I'm supposed to be laid off in November. The cool thing is that all my stuff is paid for and ready to go. Man, am I glad I didn't spend it all on a new boat or something. So, things are coming full circle for me. Looks like I'll be going back into lawn care for a living.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

z.....My second year in lawn business and i'm 40 year old and just making between 15 to 18 k a yr...NOW Sit on that and think about it ,,,,,,,,,[/QUOTE]

Now This I can believe. A lot of us are getting into this because our 'day jobs' are going away. I have a couple things I will be doing soon. One being lawn care. I think you can make a bit more then 15 - 18K a year, but it requires a lot of work. If you get $50.00 a lawn and can do three to four a day, then only have a season that lasts 6 or 7 months, you are looking at around $26K plus or minus a couple grand. But, that is not bad for 6 - 7 months of work. Even here in Florida, you have an off season.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Started at age 2 with a Fisher Price Bubble Mower... :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

Now I have 100 Bubble Mowers and bubble-up the whole neighborhood. :blob3:
Old 10-21-2004, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

IRS wants you all

I have been monitoring all this illegal unreported activity for a few months now and think that it is time to call an end to all this competition. I knew it was just like this...damn illegal aliens....just joking, I started when I was 10 and have not stopped since, except for that time that I went to chase some women in college or on that 10 year drinking binge. Did I say I was joking?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I started out when i was tall enough to stand behind the good old 48" scag... been doin it since then went to school graduated all that good stuff.. i ran my dads company when i was 16 and plus i had my own bussiness going.. We now service 90 + lawns a week.. do everything there is to do.. keeps 6 guys goin 40 plus hours a week besides mowing.... GO EXMARK!