Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2004, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

toro vs cub cadet

I'm new hear guys, so please bear with me. I've been in business 2 years after 35 years with Bellsouth. I have about 35 yards and have been doing them with a Husqvarna cz4817 (consumer ztr). It's time I bought a real commercial mower. Because of the proximity of the 2 dealers and the support I will get I am considering a Cub Cadet Tank 48" or a Toro Z master 44". Both have Kohler engines I believe 18hp on the Cub and 20hp on the Toro. I could use some advice as to pros and cons. Thanks for your help. Danny
Old 07-09-2004, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Danny, the Toro is a much heavier built unit with a far superior deck (Turbo Force) in my view. I demo'd both units (but in slightly bigger models) and while the Tank is a good unit, I felt that the Toro cut better and had a better design/build all the way around.

If possible, I would suggest that you demo both and see which one you like best. You might also consider a few other brands such as the exMark, John Deere, Hustler and Scag. They all have comparable models in the size you are looking at and I think you'll be glad you researched some other models if you have any dealers that are reasonably close to you.

Demo, demo, demo before you buy - you might be surprised what you find that you like. And of course, the closeness of the dealer is very important as well as his ability to service you and back you up in the event you have problems.

Sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Steve, thanks for the reply. I think I will demo some of the other units. The Exmark dealer I would deal with is 30 miles away and the Toro and Cub dealers are 2 miles. I have dealt regularly with both these guys and they are great. I guess my problem is I really like a 48" machine (the Cub + 3 years no interest and better warranty) but I am a little bothered by the fact they are owned by MTD. The Toro looks good but is a 44". In the commercial units they all look well built and you can get the same motors in all. I don't know if it matters but the Toro is a 20 hp possibly single cylinder and the Cub is an 18hp twin cylinder. Decisions - decisions. Danny
Old 07-09-2004, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

The 44" deck on the toro is not a turbo force deck.I just bought a z500 20/52" z master yesterday.It has the turbo force deck with an adjustable baffle,and this thing is a well built machine.I looked at so many mowers and narrowed it down to three and then weighed dealer support among a few other things.The cut on this thing is great and the spindles VERY well built.Around here you see more toros mowing than any other mower;not saying theres not better mowers but so far i go with what the majority uses.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a club 54inch tank 23 on the back like it verry well cuts great good service they have talked me through a problem over the phone
Old 07-10-2004, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Danny why does it bother you that mtd owns them. The tank is a rock solid machine whith a great warranty. You will get more machine for the money with the cub as well. As for toro I love mine though not a ztr.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I suppose the fact MTD owns Cub should not matter. I have tried both the Cub and Toro and they are both well built machines, as are most of the commercial brands. I keep going back to the 3 year no interest and warranty on the Cub plus it's 48". Appreciate the comments folks. Danny
Old 07-30-2004, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are going with the Cub I wouldn't suggest the M48S, that is the one with the kawasaki and the stamped deck. Although I dont own one I work at a Cub Dealer and for some reason..I think to much preload on the bearings...the center spidle goes out on the stamped decks. I own an M48 fab deck and 20HP Honda and I love it, very durable, cuts great, in case anybody was wondering MTD bought out Lesco and they are now marketed under the Cub Cadet Commercial Label.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

By all means DEMO BOTH before deciding for yourself...

In that class I'd lean towards the Cub with the fabricated deck also....

If I were compairing the Toro Z500 series 52" or 60" with the 54" or 60" Cub it would require a lot more thought.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 07-30-2004, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dannylj
I guess my problem is I really like a 48" machine (the Cub + 3 years no interest and better warranty) but I am a little bothered by the fact they are owned by MTD. The Toro looks good but is a 44". In the commercial units they all look well built and you can get the same motors in all. . Danny
I make my living, with the MTD products. I even use MTD/cub, trimmers, blowers, and edgers. There good mower's, just like the other ones you have talked about. Buy what you like, and works for you.
Attached Images