Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2004, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

guys with PTO hydro pump dump trucks?

I have a small leak in the bottom of my hydro pump, on my dump truck. It's a small leak and I'm not too concerned. But the thing is, I can't for the life of me see where to refill the the hydro fluid. There has to be a place..... right? there is a bolt on the side, (looks similar to a drain on a walk behind engine), could that be it? I'll try to post a pic of it. Am i supposed to be looking for a resovoir of some sort, cuz there ain't one there.

this is a picture of it, from underneath. see that bolt sticking out? is that the hydro fluid refill?
Old 07-10-2004, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

What type of hoist do you have scissor or post ?

From that picture its hard to tell what you have you should have a external juice tank. If you have a scissor hoist some times the juice tank is under the box so it has to be lifted to get hydraulic oil into.

On some post hoists the tank is built into the bottom of the hoist its a big rectangle box.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

sorry, gravel, I'm not sure what the difference is between post/scissor. I just know is has the pump here, that goes to the piston on the dump body. This is my first dump truck.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravel is talking about a hydraulic oil reservoir that should be located somewhere on the truck. Rarely (if ever) should you have to fill the pump itself, just keep the reservoir topped off. Lift the bed and look around. On my F-350 the reservoir is right behind the cab, a rectangular tank, roughly 18"x18"x10". It has a large vent/fill cap right on top in the middle. I have to lift the bed to get to it. My truck is a "scissors" type lift, as from what I've seen most dump trucks of this size are.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

On some dump hyd systems, there isnt a tank. The lift cylinder acts as a tank. If it gets low on fluid you'll know it.. It wont go to full extension. Servicing varies by manufacturer so with out knowing and seeing it, I wont comment on that. Keep in mind... always put the safety bar in place when under the bed with it raised!