Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2004, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

23hp kawasaki hard to start

I have a 23 hp kawasaki that is hard to start. Have to crank for about 30 to 45 seconds before it will fire. Black smoke emits then it will smooth out and run fine. It keeps burning the plugs sooty black. I had it in the shop and they couldn't figure it out. I have replaced the plugs, air filter, pre filter, new carb, two new coils, the diode wiring harness and the lead wire. Still no better with starting. Very frustrating. Can anybody help.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here is something to check for it may not be the engine but in the wiring of what is is used on. Check for power at the fuel solenoid at the carb. It may not be getting power on start up and the engine has to come up the speed for the solenoid to get power from the charging system for it to start. I see this happen on a Kohler before. It turned out to be a bad key switch. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you choking it? My kawis I have to choke them most of the time. Pull the choke out, hit the key, starts immediately, hit the choke off. Purrs like a kitten. Big kitten.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

some great danes w/ the 23kaw had a diode in the harness that controls the fuel solenoid. it was a common problem. kawasaki also had a lot of carb. issues w/ the 23hp. you can try and run a hotter plug like a bp4es or even hotter a bp2es. if all else fails kawasaki just released an internally vented carb for that engine that will fix the rich running problem.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

So far I have installed two new coils, two plugs, new air filter and pre filter, brand new carb and I still have to crank it about 30-45 seconds before it will start popping a few times then it will start and run perfect.

Took it to the shop and a week later I checked on it and they said they have no clue...shop said they would have to start tearing things apart until they find something broken. I said forget it and took it back home. That was the second time I took it to the shop with no luck.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Member

i had the same problem ,i took it to a good shop and he was pulling his hair out. he go so mad and took the engine a part in my case i had a bent rod and a valve was carbonized . fix it no problem anymore.