Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2004, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ford explorer

I currently am running a 91 explorer for my daily runner, i have 3 other trucks, but i am looking to buy another explorer....

guys these things are AWESOME for our line of work...

anyways, i have a 91 explorer with a 5 speed tranny....

i am looking to purchase a 95-99 explorer. nto sure on the year, depends on what the auction has to offer at the time of my arrival.

anyways, i am well known of the problem that the 95-99 have with the atx trannies, NOW what year did ford correct the atx problem? Does anyone know?

I hear that they say the trannies are not good at all, they go out around 80k./.....

need help, before tue!

also, just bought a 85 f 150 $175 lol.... body needs work, but it runs like a champ, hey thats all that matter s right?

let me know guys!
Old 07-11-2004, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

You mean the Manheim Auto Auction?

Exmark 52" Lazer HP 23hp w/ultravac
Exmark 52" Lazer HP 23hp
Quick 36
Honda 21" push
Toro 21" push
2005 Ford F-150
6.5x16 trailer
Echo SRM260
Echo PAS 260
Echo Back Pack Blower
Echo Handheld Blower
Accelerator Bagger
Old 07-11-2004, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Alot of times when the tranny "goes out" or starts to slip. It is not completely gone. When I was still in the shop and also a service advisor at a big ford dealership we would find that the valve body gasket would blow out to the side and cause the line pressure to get out of wack. If you pull the trans pan down and pull the valve body out just look at the gasket and see if it is torn on the sides. I'm not saying that this was the only problem with them BUT, it did save some transmissions from having to be replaced.

A lot of it depends on the type of maintenance that the previous owner had done ie; regular transmission flushes and services performed deffinately help prolong the life of the trannies.

Just watch out for which motor that you get. That is what I would be worried about. The 97 to 99 SOHC motors are the ones that had the problems with the front timing chain tensioners going bad and making a hell of a rattle. Ford put out a program on that engine but the program is expired now on most all of those years.

If it was me getting that explorer I would look for a 4.0 OHC motor with 3.73 gears to give it a little better acceleration.
The OHC motor is pretty bullet proof, just have the occasional water pump and radiators that leak and also the ac accumulators rust out. They are great trucks though

Good luck with whatever one you get