Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2004, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch pricing in Florida

I'm trying to find out pricing for mulch installs done by Florida LCO's. I've been trying to get $100 per yard, but most accounts think that's too much. I always include the cost of the mulch in the price quote to make the customer more comfortable with the price. However, most of my customers think that $75-$80 per yard (including mulch cost) is the most that they should pay. When you consider that mulch costs $17.50 to $22.50 per yard, it doesn't leave a lot of profit. Anybody from Florida got any pricing info to share. I'm in Citrus County, about 60 miles north of Tampa and would like to here from anyone in this area.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1 yard of mulch is 14 bags .... I wish I could $7 per bag installed

I've used "Flying Mulch Man" out of O town too blow mulch in .... got 60 yards blow in at $35 per yard .... smaller jobs cost more per yard .... as he has a 20 yard min

So I'd look fore someone in your neck that has a blower for larger jobs .... far as resi's go we get $50 per yard with 3 yard min .... bed prep is extra ..... only do this work for regular monthly accounts n ONLY in the off season ..... any summer work would be atleast $75 per yard thrown

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 07-11-2004, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I am interested how much you are getting for residential lawns down there. We really want to come back to Florida, but I am starting a lawn bus up here in Richmond VA and the average residental lot (80 x 130) is pulling in about $45.00 per cut ... I know that 18 years ago, in the New Port Richey area, we were only getting $10.00 to $12.00 .. and I am hearing from friends that it's not that much more now ...

Old 07-11-2004, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DennisF,

Man, if you're getting that much one county North of me then I'm moving North!!! About the most the market will bear down here in the Spring Hill area is about $45-50 per yard installed and my cost is the same as yours. I try to avoid it as much as possible.
http://www.klawns.com
Old 07-11-2004, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I get about $50 per yard on mulch. Thats why i try to just stick to maintenance. Its not worth the trouble to do extra work.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowerman90

That seems to be the MOST that I can get. Many customers think that $75 is too much. When you consider that I go get the mulch and bring it to the job site, the costs involved are not worth the time to do the job. Some people think that your time is not worth much, so I try to price the mulch jobs high hoping that the customer will back away. I really don't care to do mulch jobs, but give quotes to my customers that ask. I figure that if I'm going to take time away from mowing I'm going make sure I make at least as much money from the mulch work as I do from lawn work. I can make $45-$50/hr mowing, so I want at least that much per hour for mulch work if I am going to bother doing it all. Spreading mulch is back breaking work, so I if I'm going to bust my butt for a customer...I expect them to pay for it.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you asked for 75.00 per yard here they would laugh you out of town. $45-50 if you can. Or about $1.50 per bag and there are 13.5 bags in a yard for the record. LOL
Old 07-12-2004, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I get 70 yd on smaller jobs and 50 yd on larger ones that are subbed to a blower. I use 3cf bags only need 9 of them
Old 07-16-2004, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

there is a rather large blower outfit in Florida. A great bunch of guys. They acctualy offerd for me to bring the truck down over the winter to help them out. they are Florida Mulch Express, met them when I was in Oregon picking up my truck. they were looking at updating there intire fleet. I belive they have around 10 trucks in two locations. I will try and find there web site and post it.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.floridamulch.com