Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2004, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

diesel oil in Kawasaki 23?

Now heres one I have not hear b4..took my mowers in to my new service dealer(they sell exmark,scag,jd,...by no means a fly by nite operation) and he suggested using a diesel rated oil for the mower engines...I said huh? Says they put this oil in all the commercial mowers they service, except for one company and that company wants std oil, non syn. I wish I could remember the actual specs on the oil but I believe it was a Havoline product.He says the companies really like the results with this oil.

DiD a search here and could not find anything in the titles on d-oil for air cooled engines.
I was going to go with Pennzoil syn until he threw this curve ball at me...
Told him to hold off on the oil change until I checked in here.Any info/opinions on this are appreciated..
Old 01-25-2004, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used Rotella oil in all my motors before I switched to the synthetics.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I assume thats for d engines?...did you like how it worked for you?
pros/cons of using it?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good question Gar. I was thinking the same thing about Rotella oil. I didn't mean to insult you about thinking the same. I normally run Shell oil but not many places have it. I can get Rotella alot easier. I tried contacting Shell Oil but no answer. Are there any websites comparing non syn. oils in air cooled engines.? Matt
Old 01-25-2004, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Matt you could never possibly insult me on a ? I ask about engines...I'm clueless about most engine/maintenance issues
Old 01-25-2004, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was in maintence for a company for 19 years, we serviced everything from push mowers to cummins and catepillar engines in heavy trucks and machinery. We also had forklifts and pickup trucks, the pickups would idle around the factory never get over 5 mph and not see the highway any. We never had an engine sludge up and we used shell rotella 15-40( diesel approved) in everything. That goes against the grain with oil specs in a lot of vehicles but i saw it work for 19 years, I think the main thing is to service your engines on a schedule and stick to it. For the record i use john deere 10w30 in all my equipment, the jd oil is a product of shell oil, and some of my mowers call for 30w oil but i use 10w30 in all of it and lots of hours and no oil failure yet, remember service service service the engines i think that is the key

Old 01-25-2004, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use Rotella 15/40 in everything except the newer Fords that recommend 5/20 or 5/30. No oil related failures.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

5-40 Rotella syn from walmart in EVERYthing
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 01-25-2004, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a good website for you to check out: Bob is the Oil Guy .
I read in an auto magazine that you should use diesel oil in older and collecter cars that don't get driven much. But I've also heard that you shouldn't use diesel oil in engines that don't have an external filter.

Randy
Old 01-27-2004, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Diesel oils are also rated for gasoline motors. They even have it listed on the bottle. Havoline and Chevron are under the same company. Probably the oil your dealer was talking about was the Chevron Delo. AWESOME oil based on the oil samples. My 14 kawi I put Shell Rotella in. All other air cooled motors get Opti.

My tractor and Chevy truck get Shell Rotella. If you compare diesel oil and Opti they are very close.

WARNING::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
If you have an older motor in a vehicle you don't know the maintenance on DON'T change over to Rotella. A friend of mine bought a truck with 187,000 miles on it. They told him they maintained it. BS. When he put rotella in it, it loosed lots of crud built up and the oil pickup got filled with it. Diesel oils keep things real clean with all the agents in them. We ended up pulling the motor and I rebuilt it in my shop. The motor was the worst I've ever seen. The idiot used only Quaker State and probably changed oil about every 15,000 miles. I can't even describe how bad it was. But the Rotella really disrupted it.