Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-11-2004, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

driveshaft/ u-joint

I have a 95 chevy 2500 diesel pick-up. Last week i noticed that when i step on the "gas" pedal it makes a creeping type noise. I raised the truck up on jackstands and put the transmission in neutral (auto trans). I spun the driveshaft by hand and noticed when it got to a certian point it made the creeping noise. It almost sounds like something needs to be greased, but i have no idea where. I tried moving the driveshaft to see if anything was loose and everything seemed tight. I was going to replace the rear u-joint b/c the one seal looked worn, but for the life of me couldn't get the driveshaft off. I took the 2 clamps off the u-joint on the rear side of the driveshaft and removed the outter snap rings, but cant budge the thing. I'm not sure if i'm even on the right track here, but it sounds like it is coming from either the u-joint or the driveshaft and not the rear end or transfer case. Anyone have and ideas or help for me?
Old 07-12-2004, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After removing the ubolts that hold the ujoint to the rear yoke,, insert a good sized bar between the ujoint and yoke.. Give er a yank forward.. U joint should release from yoke.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why take a risk with something that is part of your livelyhood? If you think something is wrong and do not know how to fix it take it to the shop. I am sure many will give you advice here but without actually inspecting the vehicle they are at best guessing.