Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-27-2000, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to stick with a hand held blower than keep it. All hand held blowers will last about the same amount of time....you will just be paying more for the name. We started with a hand held Homelite blower for our first season and it lasted all season with 40 accounts. When we became larger we knew it could not endure the extra load so we went to back pack blowers from Shindaiwa. I would never use a blower as a vacuum though.

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 12-27-2000 at 10:16 PM]
Old 12-28-2000, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unlike my Homelite trimmer ( See "Homelite R.I.P" thread) my Homelite handheld blower bought from Home Depot has lasted me a year and a half. It is in need for replacement soon, and I will find a high quality backpack to supercede it come spring. I have been happy with price and performance, but am looking forward to a new, more productive tool.
Old 12-28-2000, 05:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I hate to go against the flow, But I still have a Homelite handheld blower that is right at 7-8 years old. Kept saying I would buy a commercial unit when it quit, but the thing will not die. I have used it every week for those 8 years on an average of about 2-3 days a week.

It is the old model that actually has a trigger throtle. I admit that I purchased a newer Homelite model called a "Bandit" a few years ago for when a friend helped me out one summer. It was the same motor and case but it did not have a throtle, just had a low and high setting. It was a real pain in the behind by not being able to control the speed.

I also purchased a backpack blower that was a Homelite as well, last year. Glad I did purchase the Homelite. It was half as much as a low priced commercial unit. Without getting into power issues, I hated the thing. Not because who made it, just cause the whole backpack setup. To me it was more cumbersome and time consuming than the little handheld unit that I have become use to using. 4 or 5 hundred dollars for a commercial unit would have made it worse of a experience.

My step-father had a Echo and a Stihl handheld that he paid about 300.00 each. He used them residentially. He got one year out of each before they would not start anymore. I've never done anything to my Homelite, ever! It starts every year easier than I do.

My theory is two fold. One: if you have employees you might want commercial, IF it is more sturdy built. Which today's commercial units of all kinds are getting cheaper with each new model, in my opinion. Two: If you take care of your equipment properly it will last no matter who made it.

Using the blower as a vac WILL shorten the life of the blower since it is using the turbine as a intake enabling it to mulch as well. This turbine is most likely plastic and vaccuming will wear down the turbine blades, eventually causing it to lose blowing power as well as vaccuming suction. I use vac attachments for a Ryobi trimmer that this happens to after about four seasons.

Good luck on your choice!
Old 12-28-2000, 07:31 AM
Banned

They work better than a broom. If that is all you can afford it will work until you can afford a backpack. I used one for a couple of months after theives felt they needed my equipment more than I.
Old 12-28-2000, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nitro

I know what it's like starting out in business and you are trying to cut corners but some things you just don't try to cut around.

Quality service and quality equipment.

Example:You are on a premier customers' yard and you go to start up that homelite blower and it doesn't work.

Because it just can't take it anymore.

It makes you look real bad.

Image is everything.

Obey your thirst and upgrade.
Old 12-28-2000, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To solve that problem green finger you should have two of everything...no matter what brand it is. He isn't cutting corners by having a homelite (he might be because he has a hand held) but if people are saying it lasted them years then it should be fine. Who is to say that a echo hand held or a stihl hand held won't have the same problems. Why spend twice as much for a hand held when all you are purchasing is a name ( I feel that if thats what you can only afford for a hand held then purchase it and say towards a back pack). Obviously if he is looking for a hand held he must not need a commercial back pack yet. I would keep it and use it as long as you can....more than likely it will become a back up when your are able to purcahse a back pack blower. Quality work can be done without a blower....just takes a lot longer.
Old 12-30-2000, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

homelite junk

In the past 3 years, we've gone through 2 Homelite blowers.
They are cheap, not made for the long run, or commercial use. They would probably last 5-10 years with residential use.
Old 12-30-2000, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

The name should speek for itself. Home(home use), Lite(light duty) LOL
Old 12-30-2000, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

homelite?...DOLT!!!

Old 12-30-2000, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a homelite backpack blower and it was junk, but I had an old homelite string trimmer 5 years ago and it ran forever. I have a Shindaiwa now after using Echo and Green Machine and it is a great machine. 62.5cc is a big engine.