Register free!

Old 09-23-2003, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Sago Palms

Anybody here familiar with pruning Sago Palms. I have a prop that just had some installed to replace ones that were stolen and the palms are hanging over into the sidewalk. I'm not sure if I can just trim the ends or should they be cut at the ball.

Thanks in advance for any help

Reg
Old 09-23-2003, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

By ball, do you mean the crown? IF so, then yes, trim there. Do not make the mistake and trim only the leaf sheaf - meaning frond. Trim up from the crown and leave 3-4 fronds on a top.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mate we have palms galore where I live and do alot of palm trimming arfter our winter due to frost damage.

You need to cut the palm fronz that are yellow, burnt, scragerly etc of where they are attached to the main stem.

You should not trim just one part of a single fronz...........just lop the whole thing off where its attached to the main stem.

This may make the Sago palms look a little " bare", though i'm not sure on the extent of damage on your Sagos but I am familiar with Sago Palms (they are very popular in pool-scapes around here) and you will have to let the client that "you have to be crule to be kind" and that it's "exceptable horticultural practice".

This should also be followed by applying a quick release fert ( tropicals spec) You sell them on the fert app and let them know that the triming will "Promote new healty growth" and the fert app will help that "new healty growth" come on faster.

Hope this helps

Pinnacle Landscapes
Old 09-23-2003, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Trim up from the crown and leave 3-4 fronds on a top.
Yes that too...............You could even trim all the fronz off up to the top fronz and it would come back fine.

NEVER TRIM THE ACTIVE FROND (the top frond)
Old 09-23-2003, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you prune all the fronds off, are even just leave a few, you can cause the trunck to taper in that spot. It will do that to any palms. You really shouldnt prune any fronds above horizontal. If you look at tall palms, you will see the tapering where ever it was pruned heavily.
12x6.5 Open trailer
Exmark TTHP 48" (for sale)
48" Wrigth RH Stander 19hp
Walker 25hp 42" GHS
Honda HRC216
25" Trimmer Mower w/Honda 5.5
Shindaiwa EB-500
Shindaiwa EB-630
RedMax BCZ2400S trimmer
2 Shindaiwa T-230
Shindaiwa T-230/w hedge trimmers

Have you hugged your mower today?
Old 06-08-2007, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Sago Suffering from tranplanting

I have a 8 year old sago that went from a single to a double plant. It was in the middle of my drive way. It faced west so it got a lot of sun. It got to big for the drive way. So I moved it 15 ft to the side in a area that use to be grass. All of the fronds are turning yellow. I have cut the worst ones off. I was told I could cut them all of when it gets to the point it is to ugly to look at. Being in the front yard it is there. Will the palm be better off with them all off? It make since because I have read that a tree will try to keep old growth alive and it if you cut the old stuff off it will make it produce new. What do you think of this theory?
Thanks for your help.
Bob
Old 06-08-2007, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not a Palm.... it's a Cycad.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a few instances were there were several sago's crowded together and just trimmed off the ends and they looked great, had one that looked like a chair and the customer loved the look
Old 06-08-2007, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I trim all our Sago's in late April to mid May, then follow with Epson Salt and Palm Fertilizer (Azalea fert works well too). It's pretty ugly for about a week, then the new fronds will grow two feet the next week.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't take issue with anything posted above , but if you trim the fronds that are hanging over the sidewalk , the new ones will also crowd the same place when the plant grows a new throw - can you just move the plant away from the sidewalk ? I never like trimming a cycad unless the fronds are deteriorating - ruins the look , imo.