Register free!

Old 03-25-2006, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

According to version 11 set to zone 10 only, 1625 cacti, trees & shrubs and 838 flowers. If you have access to Horticopia, you can import images from there directly to Pro Landscape and they show a total of 3358 in both woodies and herbaceous material which should also include everything in Pro Landscape and an additional 895 plants. I would think version 12 adds some additional plants, but have not had the opportunity to upgrade as of yet.

Kirk
Old 03-25-2006, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape25
I got a cd from Pro Landscape, it looks a little better than I thought it was. I am in zone 10, does anyone know the extent of the plant selection for zone 10? I think on the cd it said it covers all zones but I only saw up to zone 9. Many plants are different here so I thought the selection may be limited.
I am using Version 11. I pulled up everything (trees, shrubs and flowers) for zone 10 and it loaded 2128 different items. Version 12 should have more.

I take that back, that also included pics of other items....like swimming pools and other pics.

Sorry
Matt

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 03-25-2006, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, that is a decent amount. I need a new computer first, it says you can use an Intel, but my laptop is an Intel Celeron, I am not sure that will work, then there is the mouse that only works on one side . The idea of only being able to see part of it seems like it may be disturbing, but I guess you get used to it. I like that you can put a survey into it and trace it. The time saved on choosing plants would probably be amazing too.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You do need a fast and powerful computer to run Pro Landscape and not be frustrated by it. You must realize it is a tool in a wide arsenal of tools, you as a designer must use. It is limited by your abilities and shortcomings. The survey feature is convenient, but drawing out a base plan is not really difficult. How do you see a time savings on choosing plants? Are you a designer now, or do you have a background in landscape design?

Kirk
Old 03-26-2006, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I haven't done extensive designing. I took Intro. to Landscape Design in school. I don' think they are going to offer Advanced Design anymore, unfortunately, not enough interest. They do offer an Auto Cad class, but I don't think I will ever get Auto Cad.
Having a survey makes it easier with or without the program. I always spend a lot of time going through the books, searching for the best plants for the location, I just figured if you can put in what you are looking for it is right there in front of you. The more experience I get, I realize plant selection will get easier. I don't have a core group I really use yet.
It is hard down here sometimes because plants that you may want to use may not live long term and some people don't want to replace. I have come to the conclusion that we don't have a large amount of small flowering plants that work here long term for instance. I also do installs and bed maintenance (the maintenance keeps the business going) but would like to do more design work.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you buy Pro Landscape or any of the other professional software programs you are getting CAD based software. I believe experience with CAD might be a plus.

Having a survey is essential to a complete landscape design and extremely helpful with smaller projects as well. You should always have those books handy as well as magazines with new introductions of plants. So many new plants a produced yearly, that books are out of date as they are published. Horticopia is software that will allow you to put in specific criteria for plant material and enable you to create lists, data sheets, picture sheets and slideshows with encyclopedic information and a new upgrade that will allow constant updates via the internet. Hopefully your core group will be as vast as your availability.

Maintenance and design go very well together, they become horticultural art.

Kirk
Old 03-26-2006, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

problem

I have built my project in image editor and want to do proposal and it wont calculate rite how do i make this work rite it will not even import object into the planner the wall units i used in favorites it will not incorporate into planner proposal can anyone help me i just want to quote my customer with my drawing retaining wall pavers and mulch and flowers plants
Old 03-26-2006, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Doesn't Pro Landscape allow you to put in criteria also? I thought it did. You have a point about the core group, I guess it is good I don't have one. Maintenance is good to see how plants perform and for cash flow.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

?

I need to know how to setup my company to print the proposals that they say you can do? I also need to know how to get my prices rite so that i can design and print proposal? Please let me know if anyone can help me
Old 03-27-2006, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, I just picked up Pro Landscape on Friday. Already I have had the need to design 9 landscape designs with it. These are customers that I can show drafting drawings too all day long, but just don't get it. They need pics. These are commercial properties with boards and manager who want pretty pictures.

Anyway, I was totally pumped when the box came in. I ordered it over night so I can get some good ground covered come today when I wanted to turn them in. I love the 3d virtual realty look and its very impressive.

I have one HUGE gripe I mailed the company about on Saturday and have yet to receive a reply. The software runs great when I first open a new project. I start adding plants, and its ok. Well the more I add the more it gets bogged. I am not talking about a ridiculous amount of plants here. For example my most recent project this evening was a sign, 4 blue spruce's, 6 nandinas, mulch, and maybe 20 pansies. Now when I move/resize/add anything it just doesn't respond immediately or anywhere close. It takes a good 5-8 secs to see the result of anything I am doing. This is the 5 project this has happened on.

This is incredible software, and a very powerful selling tool. I cannot use it with this type of lag though.

My computer is a 3.2ghz p4 with a geforce 7800 (best out 2 months ago =)), 2 gigs of ocz ram, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas?