Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2006, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks kirk for being up front. I just purchased it in the last 20 minutes. I will have plenty of time to play with it. I maily install new yards and build retaining walls. I have gotten my feet wet in the last couple of years with shrubbery and has worked out. I guess my main goal is to be able to sell my job easier with a quality image as it will provide. Like for example of showing a customer on a steep slopes placing 2 walls to help elinamate an ugly bank.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, what type of pavers do you use. I have used one of the paver manufacturers software and it is much easier to use than Pro Landscape for pavers and walls. As many patterns are similar as well as colors, it usually works out no matter which manufacturer I am using. It is only used for 3D imaging, but it does that really well. I believe Pro Landscape has a return policy, so if it doesn't do what you need you should be able to return it. It is not an easy program to use, but does a great job when you master it and use it to it's full potential.

Kirk
Old 01-16-2006, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kirk, You will laugh at this. I do not do pavers! I use Allen block from nitterhouse in Chambersburg, Pa. The reason i do not do pavers is i am a 2 man operation. We stay busy with what we do consisting of top soil and plant new yards, build around 15 or so walls a year and regular bobcat and back hoe work. I just purchased a turf maker 550 hydro seeder last year and works very well. I have a 185 bobcat with landscape rake, backhoe attachment, tilt tach, and pallet forks. We did only 1 paver job and it seemed like it could be a pain of returning to job such as the grouting. I have subbed them out when neccessary or recommended stamp concrete. Now im getting scared of that program i just purchased, is it that tough? I do have the rest of winter to play with it, we normally dont start back untill April.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, I'm not trying to scare you, just being honest. I know quite a few landscapers that have this and other design software sitting on a shelf collecting dust. The program does take quite a commitment of time and may frustrate you. All the reasons I originally purchased it for have changed drastically, and all I do is design and consulting. It's not this software, but all the design software out there. Most is CAD based and have serious limitations. If you'd like, contact me and I will be happy to share my experience with you.

Kirk
Old 01-16-2006, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

care to email me with your phone # ? mmcgee33@excite.com
Old 01-16-2006, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just want to SECOND everything Kirk just said.

Dan
Old 01-22-2006, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well i have it, and it is frustrating. For example, its not a great program for pavers. I am tying to do a design now, and it is a PITA... not the right brick types, etc. oh well, i can see this is gonna take lots of time...

anyone know how to adjust the brck pavers scale size when using image editor. ive tried to adjust dimensions and didnt work.. (pavers look to big in image ??
Old 01-23-2006, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

scraper, I use another program along with the Pro Landscape for the hardscaping. It is easy to use and you can export the image back to Pro Landscape when you are finished with the hardscape. Check your local hardscape suppliers to see if any of the manufacturers offer software. I too was frustrated with Pro Landscape in that regard, but solved the problem with additional software. I understand Pro Landscape just released version 12, so I do not know if they have addressed this issue. If you would like further information on the other software, contact me and I will clue you in.

Kirk
Old 01-23-2006, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have an older version of prolandscape(like 10 years old!) and it seems like it takes forever to "erase" existing landscapes... I mean I spend sometimes hours erasing... is the newer version any better? How much does it cost to upgrade to the newest version?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

new version is great