Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Lawnworks Lawnworks is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: usa
Posts: 5,409
Yup we just pull it down and lock her down. I bought the truck from a wholesaler that buys them from Lowes. It was fleet maintained. 110k miles - $10,9k No problems at125k so far.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-15-2005, 12:13 PM
orangejbird's Avatar
orangejbird orangejbird is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dallas, Wisconsin
Posts: 60
Is that an engineaire precleaner on the Dixie?
__________________


60" Country Clipper Charger 27hp. 6/05
61" Snapper turf cruiser 25hp.
Efco trimmer.
Jonsered Chainsaw.
Toro 30941 BP Blower.
$10.00 Homelite BP blower. :blush:
Cyclone Rake.
Deere 3320 CUT w/FEL.
Many attachments.
I mow big country lawns.
(Usually "seems like" old pasture!)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-12-2005, 01:35 PM
br549oicu8's Avatar
br549oicu8 br549oicu8 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Leavenworth, Kansas
Posts: 1,230
That truck really does look nice and that is coming from a trailer lover guy. Very impressive nice mod!!!!
__________________
Buddy Rodgers & Son
Leavenworth, Kansas
Since 1981 and growing every year!

If you don't like my opinion...go around back for another view.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-21-2005, 05:21 PM
MowMoney MowMoney is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 55
I have a setup similar to the Super lawn truck system, although I dont have the fuel tanks and Hydrolic ramp. I do however have a spring assisted ramp that opens and closes much quicker. and I have a Dump box incorporated onto the truck for landscape waste. The set up works great.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Sean Adams Sean Adams is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,623
I do not disagree with anyone when they say that these trucks are not cheap... but please do not compare a used $10k truck and a home-made ramp, gate, etc... with a Super Lawn Truck. You have to see one, get in one, drive one before you comment.... If you can't afford it that does not mean it is not worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Lawnworks Lawnworks is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: usa
Posts: 5,409
What the hell are you talking about? A $6500 ramp system that is more prone to failure than my "homemade gate" is a better option? They take less energy to operate, but all the moving parts, hydrolics, etc are just one more thing that can go wrong. Plus they are not as fast to let down as one similar to mine. Super lawn trucks is about 30 minutes from my house so please don't "tell" me which is a better option. 50k is alot of money for a truck that is just going to get beat to hell everyday. For smaller companies like mine that are focused on turning a profit, SLTs are not an option.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Sean Adams Sean Adams is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,623
How can you claim that the SLT gate is "more prone to failure" than a gate system you created? A lot of money, energy, and research went into the development of this "system" - it is not merely a truck. I was not directly knocking your gate system, I was just saying it in general. But you say that because it has "many parts" it will break down - that's like saying an 18" reel mower is more effective than a 60" ZTR because it has more "parts".

And just because SLT is 30 minutes from your house how does that qualify you from proclaiming what is a better option? That's like me saying "Hey, I live 30 minutes from the Ford motor plant so I know Chevy makes a better vehicle." - Makes no sense....

And finally, as I said before, I do not deny that a BRAND NEW Super Lawn Truck is not cheap. But you get what you pay for. If you look around you will see a lot of small and new business owners finance $40,000 trucks, buy $3,000 trailers, spend thousands on customizing their truck and trailer and that does not include the ability to have a rolling "advertisement" like the SLT nor does that set-up have the ammenities that the SLT has (carry multiple crew members, large fuel tank, gate system that turns into a work area, and so on.

And you said that the truck is something that is going to get "beat to hell everyday" - maybe that is how you choose to handle (or mishandle your investments) but many people in this industry take stellar care of everything they own.

You cannot justify the statement in anyway that owning a SLT will not permit or allow a smaller company to turn a profit. It is all in how you manage (or possibly mismanage) your business. They key to turning a profit is efficiency. If someone can afford a SLT and they use it the way it was intended to be used, there are too many advantages to deny in owning one of these rolling businesses on wheels.

I'm not saying that a truck and trailer does not work.... I'm just saying that the SLT is a viable alternative.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-25-2005, 10:46 AM
olderthandirt olderthandirt is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: here
Posts: 4,905
Customer perception of you and your company! How many high end commercial accounts want to see a guy and his pick up parked out. SLT is a more professinal way of showing off your company while still getting a truck that was designed for this business.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Lawnworks Lawnworks is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: usa
Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams
How can you claim that the SLT gate is "more prone to failure" than a gate system you created? A lot of money, energy, and research went into the development of this "system" - it is not merely a truck. I was not directly knocking your gate system, I was just saying it in general. But you say that because it has "many parts" it will break down - that's like saying an 18" reel mower is more effective than a 60" ZTR because it has more "parts
It is a nice unit, but I just don't think it is a cost effective option. My "homemade" gate system is more efficient and more cost effective. $1250 installed verses $6500 installed. And my unit is far from homemade. A manufacturing comany does a great job of fabricating the gate system. My gate does not have a hyrdrolic pump, fittings, etc. At a point something will need replacing.


Quote:
And just because SLT is 30 minutes from your house how does that qualify you from proclaiming what is a better option? That's like me saying "Hey, I live 30 minutes from the Ford motor plant so I know Chevy makes a better vehicle." - Makes no sense....".
You made a comment assuming I have never seen one of these gates, when in reality I see them in use almost every day by Bass Custom Landscapes.


Quote:
And finally, as I said before, I do not deny that a BRAND NEW Super Lawn Truck is not cheap. But you get what you pay for. If you look around you will see a lot of small and new business owners finance $40,000 trucks, buy $3,000 trailers, spend thousands on customizing their truck and trailer and that does not include the ability to have a rolling "advertisement" like the SLT nor does that set-up have the ammenities that the SLT has (carry multiple crew members, large fuel tank, gate system that turns into a work area, and so on.
I am just saying there is a more cost effective option. Design your own SLT and spend 25k instead of 50k.

Quote:
And you said that the truck is something that is going to get "beat to hell everyday" - maybe that is how you choose to handle (or mishandle your investments) but many people in this industry take stellar care of everything they own.
I am going to disagree with you here. I happen to live in the real world. Whe you have other people running your crews, things do take a beating.

Quote:
You cannot justify the statement in anyway that owning a SLT will not permit or allow a smaller company to turn a profit. It is all in how you manage (or possibly mismanage) your business. They key to turning a profit is efficiency. If someone can afford a SLT and they use it the way it was intended to be used, there are too many advantages to deny in owning one of these rolling businesses on wheels.

I'm not saying that a truck and trailer does not work.... I'm just saying that the SLT is a viable alternative.
Well what I am saying is build you own SLT and save 25k.


Last edited by Lawnworks; 07-25-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-25-2005, 11:09 PM
SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BUCKS COUNTY PA
Posts: 242
OK A FEW THINGS....
1) DO ISUZU TRUCKS BREAK DOWN ???? I NEVER KNEW THAT BEFORE .....I DROVE ONE FOR 4 YEARS AND IT NEVER MISSED A DAY. ON RAINY DAYS WE TOOK IT FOR BS STUFF LIKE OIL& LUBE/ TIRES AND BRAKES. IT NEVER HAD A WARRANTY ISSUE OR FAILURE OF ANY KIND.
2) I BET THE SLT GATE COULD SAVE A LOT IN THE CASE OF AN OSHA VISIT OR A WORKERS COMP CLAIM.
3) WE HAVE HAD A LOT OF NASTY ACCIDENTS LOCALLY INVOLING LANDSCAPE TRUCKS AND THE DOT IS CRACKING DOWN HEAVY. ALL MACHINES MUST TIED DOWN AND FUEL CANS SECURED. THE DOT IS DOING CHECKPOINTS IN A DIFFERENT LOCATION EVERY DAY AND HANDS OUT SOME HEAVY FINES. ENCLOSED TRAILERS AND TRUCKS ARE USUALLY WAIVED PASSED WITH ONLY A QUICK VISUAL INSPECTION. ( THEY ALMOST NEVER GO IN A CLOSED TRAILER UNLESS IT IS A POS OR LOOKS OVERWEIGHT. SO YOUR ENCLOSED UNIT SECURES YOUR EQUIP AGAINST THEFT AND WEATHER PLUS SAVES TIME IN NOT HAVING TO TIE EVERYTHING DOWN.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.07960 seconds with 8 queries