Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2004, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Garden Railroads???

Do any of you do them? Avoid them? Have any comment?
Is there any market out there that you know of?

Are guys that play with trains just nerds? I play with trains but I play with lawn mowers too so am I only 1/2 a nerd?

Just thinking that that would be a neat thing to add to the water garden/pond. Any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2004, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know of a train club in CT. All the members are rich and all PITA's. The layouts and trains are actualy really cool. I would like to do one for myself. I think dooing a layout for a customer could cause big problems. They take foreaver to build I helped my jerk stepfather with his. They are a maintenence nitemare. The ground is always moveing causing the need for tracks to be repaired. Trees are also a problem dropping leaves and twigs and nuts allthe time. Critters like squirrils are fuzzy godzillas! Hope this helped in some way.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

While I don't know anything about installing the systems outdoors specifically, from what I have seen of them, most of the trains have been LGB models. The only reason I know this is because I have one. I've had it since I was 7 or 8, and it still works fine, though I don't think it's ever been set up outside....

An internet search should turn something up, if you need/want more info. IIRC, LGB stands for Lehman-Gross-Bahn; it's made in Germany. The company has been around long enough that when I got mine, Germany was still divided....

Supposedly, an elephant can walk on the tracks and not hurt it. And they are made with the ability to run outside.

Just typing this is making me wish my daughter was a little older so she could play with it!

Dan
Old 07-18-2004, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have always wanted 1 and looks neet but i have also heard they r a real pain to keep up and not cheep to buy so i havent gotten 1 yet and as for installing for a customer i think i would skip it
Old 07-18-2004, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a basic starter set like have (which had a lot added to it when I was younger), runs in the $400 range. The set includes an engine and two cars, as well as enough pieces of curved track to make a circle about 4-5' in diameter.

The track is what is the killer, IIRC. It doesn't take long to get a bunch of money wrapped up in track. I don't know current prices on track, and I don't remember what it ran 15 years ago either, but I remember $80 in birthday/Christmas money didn't get me home with much back then. I'm sure it wouldn't take too long to get a couple of grand wrapped up in a system.

For the right client, I'd jump on the opportunity to install one. But I would want to consult with someone along the way too....

Think about it, how many higher-end clients have poolhouses with their pools? Have someone "tending bar" inside the poolhouse during a party, and deliver the marguritas via train set. I don't think the novelty would ever wear off.....

Enough of the rambling!

Dan
Old 07-19-2004, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thank you for the info, guys. I do know about LBG and Yes it is big money.

Maybe sell track maintenace after install??? I could stop at Charlie's house every day before he went out to play in the yard and blow the track...LOL

Dan, What novelty are you talking about. Trains or Marguritas???
Old 07-20-2004, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

PM you forgot to include godzilla squirls and bird and chipmunk and cat and dog chacing cat fix-ups in your maint program.

Rotten chipmunks will eat the scenery sometimes. They will also decide you should have instaled a mine and start diggin. Usualy they pick a bad spot like under the track.

With some customers this might de real good for your income. Some might be a real PITA.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The novelty of having the drinks delivered via train set....

I can see it being a major PITA with some clients, but it could be a lot of fun too...

Dan
Old 07-31-2004, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You guys need to talk to my uncle. He has two garden trains. One you can ride on. (He has a diesel, a live steam engine(under construction), 6 cars and a caboose) The other system is G gauge. He has track all over the place. The trains are remote control and battery powered. I haven't seen it in 5 years, but he finially finished it. He has a lot and I mean a lot of money tide up into the G gauge stuff. Don't even ask about how much he has in the ride own stuff. You don't want to know.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 08-03-2004, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Itsgottobe-- Where does your Uncle live. By you or elsewhere in the country?