Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

16 years old, been in business for 3 years, only 43 lawns, 2 mid-size mowers (1 of which is for sale), 3 small mowers, and 6 guys. COME ON!!! Why did you ask us this question?? Admit it, you want this truck just because!!!!!!

How are you going to affort to register the truck if you don't even have the $$ to buy the thing?? You'd have more in your pocket if you did more yourself!!

Leases are not all the great advantages the dealer will tell you. But you'll find out. We've all been there, to be young and foolish again!!

HEY DON'T GET ME WRONG HERE!!! I love to here about a young guy out busting his butt making tons of dough and building his future but what your about to do doesn't make sence. It sounds like your going to spend all your $$ just cuz it'll be cool. Your insurance and registration and payment are going to sink you. Buy a nice used truck or suffer with the one you've got til you've saved 5 or 10 grant to buy a new one.

Your thinking all of us who have responded to you are a bunch of old farts knocking down a good hardworking young guy. Well I think your wrong!!!! I bet most (if not all) of us have been in your shoes!!!!!!! And hope that maybe we can convince you not to make the same mistake. Were not all old, gray, grumpy, and stupid out here.

Good Luck!
Mike
Old 07-19-2004, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When you can't make your payments, or pay the insurance and at your age your looking at 2K for insurance, or pay to register the truck. I will be a the wholesale auto auction buying it cheap.

Geoff
Old 07-19-2004, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

selnoil, i know it says 3rd year, but its really my 1st, my past 2 were just cuttin my familys and such with a lil 21" mower. this is my first BIG year.

see, i NEED a truck, i dont have 12k saved up for a used one. and i have about 4k to work with, so i figure 1500 down, monthly payments are going to be 333, so itll be around 2200 due at signing, and the rest for insurance and registration.

and im making sure i have ATLEAST 8 grand in the bank before november hits that way i wont be late on anypayments in the winter if it doesnt snow.

also, for some landscape jobs im going to need a few more guys, like the 6 i have right now...

but... when i cut i only take one or 2 with me so the truck i have now is fine, EXECPT for the engine, its NOT powerful enough. PLUS i want to plow and i need a 4x4 and bigger engine/truck. also the truck i have now is WAYYYY small for landscape jobs.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoffDiamond
When you can't make your payments, or pay the insurance and at your age your looking at 2K for insurance, or pay to register the truck. I will be a the wholesale auto auction buying it cheap.

Geoff
i have money for insrance. i pay over 250 a month for it now, which i know isnt THAT much, but it could be ALOT cheaper or ALOT more. im expecting it to be around 300-400 a month, but hopefully 275! lol. to be honest, im not worried about the insurance issue, i have enough to cover that.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dude, I would check on the price for the insurance on this truck before you go any further.

When I was 19 I wanted a 1995 Camaro Z28 with all the bells and whistles and power. I called my insurance company and found out that it would be $2800.00 every six months for me on that vehicle and that was with a clean driving record. That would have had me paying almost $900.00 a month to drive a cool almost new car. Anyways I quickly decided against getting that car and am glad at this point in my life that I did not get it.

I guess we are all just trying to let you learn from some of our mistakes or almost mistakes. Take it for what you will.

The best of luck with whichever way you decide to go.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'am only guessing but I'd guess a sticker of about 42k. $333 a month for 2 years on the lease and about $200 of that or more will go to intrest. So with that in mind $4800 in intrest and $3192 in principle after 2 years providing you only make minimum payments (finance companies love this). You've paid down a 42k truck to $38808. Oh and lets see you put down $1500 so that leaves you with a buy out option of $37,308 for a truck thats now 2 years old, probably 30 to 40 thousand miles, plus wear and tear pushing snow and dings and, scratches and dents. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Oh and full coverage insurance for a 16 year old, I don't even want to guess.

It's unfortunate we only learn by making mistakes and I imagine if you go through with this you'll be kicking yourself in 2 years.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It's unfortunate we only learn by making mistakes and I imagine if you go through with this you'll be kicking yourself in 2 years.
I would almost guaruntee that he would be
Old 07-19-2004, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Age doesn't matter if you have COMMERCIAL truck insurance. At least not for my brother and me. We are 19 and 18 (respectively). The insurance is a lot higher on the new truck but the age thing doesn't seem to matter. Make some calls and find out for yourself. Just make sure you get commercial insurance because if they find out that you got in an accident while transporting your gear they can deny you your coverage.

Lawn & Landscape Maintenance -- Landscape Installation -- Snow Management

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 07-19-2004, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GLS
Just make sure you get commercial insurance because if they find out that you got in an accident while transporting your gear they can deny you your coverage.

They can't deny him coverage if he uses that truck for personal use too. I'm guessing at his age that he will be using that truck more for personal than work. So, he should be fine without commercial insurance.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 07-20-2004, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

With 6 employee's, payroll and workers comp must be killing you, I feel it alot with halve that many, you must be doing something right. Good Luck. I was talking to my accountant the other day about a nissan/UD/ or Mit's vehicle to haul my equipment, I was told me to lease, I know some say buy it, and I'm buying a 2002 f-250, maybe it good to lease for certain situations.