Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2004, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Member

We all work to get the things that we want, how many of you own a boat? Does having that boat mean that you are being extravagant, throwing your money away? NOPE, it means that you wanted it, you worked for it, and you deserve to get it. That boat is your reward for working hard, just like the big houses that we live in ... do we really need all of that house? NOPE, it means that you wanted it, you worked for it, and you deserve to get it. I say, this kid wanted it, worked for it, and deserves to get it. Is it the smartest financial decision ... NOPE. BUT, he's 16, he will recover, and twenty years from now, he'll be telling his kid that it would be better to "buy a used truck", "don't lease", etc. etc. ... Ya know, I might just go out this morning and buy a jet ski
JK

Old 07-20-2004, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

If I were you, I'd show some restraint and NOT buy this vehicle. It sounds more like you want this truck, rather than need it. I'd recommend getting something used and saving more money/continuing to expand your business. Whenever I want to purchase something "big-ticket" I always ask myself "... whats the hurry...". There's always going to be trucks to get, things to buy, etc. -- it's better off to wait.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally i think you just what the truck and cant really afford it. I may be wrong but it just does not add up. I whent through the same thing this spring, and am still driving the same truck, and very glad of it.

If you do have 4k i would go get a nice used truck and not have payments. Like others said, if something happens to a mower you may be out of luck. If you do get this truck i would just buy it outright because of the reasons already listed, ie, the fast depreciation ect.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

hmm maybe i should just wait some more until like september or so to get a truck, and maybe even just by the lowest model ram 1500 4x4 for like 14grand. im sure that would get keep me going for a while and be able to plow a few seasons with it.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

use the money to grow the business.......... Not a $$$$$$ truck.

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 07-20-2004, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not that much older than you, so I remember what it's like to be 16 and want the coolest car at school. But I agree with the guys saying save your money. I bought an '81 chevy truck when I was 16 and paid cash for it. It wasn't the coolest car but it was cheap and reliable and kept me from working just to make car and insurance payments. I know everyone's answers weren't what you were looking for but they are right. Look at how many people are trying to help you.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

true. i really apperaite the help you guys have for me. im just trying to get a better truck that i can haul more people with when needed, and have a decent truck and not an old rickedy one. cause its hard to find a good used truck up here, and if u do its TOP DOLLAR. if i was going to go used, i would most likley take a drive down i75, which i may just do before i buy something new!
Old 07-20-2004, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

look around on cars.com and autotrader.com. ive been looking on there for a while now and ive found some good deals, but im probly gonna get a truck in septmeber. my dad doesnt want me to get a truck just to have it sitting there until i turn 17 and get myh license.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I do have news for you a Dodge crewcab isn't a true crew cab if you figure you will pack 6 people comfortably forget it. If your looking for a good used crew cab look at a Ford or Chev srw 1 ton you can find a gasser anywhere.

I don't know how you guys can make a living out of cutting lawns guys that are 16 years old in this area would only make 10-12 dollars per hour at the most supplying his or her equipment.

As for buying a brandnew truck not a wise idea myself I'am worried about buying a 10,000 dollar truck and I have been in 1 ton trucking for 10 years.

You have to keep in mind the dealer is in it for making money the cheap price is too lure the sucker in for the catch once they got you in the net your screwed. That low lease price may look good but there is probably lots of fine print they don't show you.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it makes sense for someone to buy a new truck if they plan on "driving it into the ground". However this is if the person can pay for the truck in a normal amount of time. I think that is you can pay the truck off in 3 to 4 years you can afford the truck. If you have no money down ect, then yes maybe 5 is ok as well. If you keep the truck 8 to 10 years and have paid it off at year 4 the next 6 your ahead of the game, and really not faced with too many problems with todays vehicles.

I agree it is hard to find a "good" used truck. Even more so if your thinking of plowing with it.

Geoff