Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2004, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

JUST DO IT NOW OR LATER

I'm going to start my lawn care or at least advertise this week because I'm ready to become my own boss. The only problem that I have is that I don't have a commercial mower, all I have is a Lowe's riding mower that's very slow. The specs say that it's (the mower) is anti-scalping but that's not true! You can't cut in reverse because if the blades are down the mower will cut off. Could anyone tell if they would start this way or just wait until I'm able to get a commercial mower. I don't want to start out on the wrong foot by destroying customer's lawns, this would be bad for business.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you can't afford a walk-behind, at least go to a commercial dealer and have them help you pick out a quality 21" to get started (unless you are mowing huge lawns).

You can also get financing at most if not all dealers for commercial mowers, this is also a nice way to get started.

If your mower is really as bad as you say it is I would try to get something a little more lawnworthy.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do like I'm doing start small gather some weekly customers and expand slowly so you don't drive yourself into debt. I could have spent 20,000 on equipment and struggled to pay for it. I started out of the trunk of my car. Now I'm towing a full trailer with my car. Since I'm not in debt I'll be around next seaon.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi ramossjr,

Do the best you can with what you have and always strive to improve. Tomorrow may never come.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by meathead1134
Do like I'm doing start small gather some weekly customers and expand slowly so you don't drive yourself into debt. I could have spent 20,000 on equipment and struggled to pay for it. I started out of the trunk of my car. Now I'm towing a full trailer with my car. Since I'm not in debt I'll be around next seaon.
Meathead is right on the ball,Sounds like how most of the guys started. "You can't build a house without laying down the foundation first".
Old 07-21-2004, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't listen to the guys who say you need a commercial mower and equipment to start with, it's BS. If it has a blade and cuts decent it will get you off the ground. I am in my 3rd year trying to slowly upgrade to commercial, in the mean time I'm using good residential equipment, making great money and building a great solid business.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to agree with MJD75. I just got started this year and have been using a 950.00 42" lawn tractor for the big ones, and a cheap 169.00 21" for the small ones. I take the time to do it right and make them look as good as I can, and have gone from 2 lawns to 9 so far from referrals alone. No Advertising! Sure I'm slow and only make about 25.00 per hour now, but you can bet that as soon as I can afford to get a good commercial walkbehind, I'm already going to have a good enough customer base to be making 40.00 to 50.00 per hour and not be in debt from buying equipment I couldnt afford.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey we all got to start somewhere. I just bought a rototiller this past week and used it and made 50.00 for 50 minuntes worth of work. I thinking about adding powerwashing to my arsenal next year not quite sure yet still thinking about it. I started in May (which was to late) I really enjoy being my own boss
Old 08-19-2004, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started in July. Bought a used TT HP 48. My family and friends have supported me with equipment. Trimmer, blower, trailer, 21 mower, etc. I owe everyone big time. I am and will give back 2x to my family and friends. Start out slow to grow. Too fast and you don't last. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I started with a murray 22" mulching mower $119.00 @ wal mart
Saved up and got a 21" 6.5hp cub cadet mower $448.00 @ lowes
And now I buying a 36" w/b Toro this week $2200.00 paid cash
for each one. Their are plenty of yards no need to get in debt.

http://www.cookseyslawncare.com