Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-19-2004, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

not sure what i should do about a new truck? HELP

idk if i should lease a dodge ram 3500 diesel for 333 a month with 1500 down. or get a chevy 1500 4x4 extended cab long box?

i know the service manager at a gm/chevy dealer so he can probably get me a good deal, but idk if the 1500 would be good enough for plowing? if i go this route i will be buying it and my payments will be around 350 for 60 months with no intrest

but then once i get thinking about the chevy option, i get thinking at a f150 because my uncle works their so i can get a discount there too, and he helped build that engine and he seems to think that it has plenty of power for plowing, towing, but not sure about the suspension. but the f150 would probably be cheaper then the chevy but idk, i guess its just personal pref.

what do u guys think? please shed some light upon me. i will be purchasing it around aug 2nd or so.

Last edited by RedWingsDet; 07-19-2004 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stay away from a 1/2 ton. I personally would like the Dodge 3500, but you got to do what makes financial sense for you. Just make sure it's at least a 3/4 ton, preferably a 1 ton for hauling and plowing.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Mark,
I just read your other thread as well and was not sure which one to respond to. Well in any case my suggestion will be the same.

I have 6 trucks and 4 trailers between my 2 companies and unless my accountant says to lease something I won't. My wife and I did once and got burned big time. One of my service techs leased a van before working for me and he got soaked when it came time turn it in. With commercial vehicles its inevitable that damage will occur. It may be small but when it comes time to turn the truck back in they WILL go over it with a fine tooth comb. O yes I know, they will say they that small stuff will not count and is normal wear and tear. From past experience BEWARE!!!!!!!

Now that you know I'm not in favor of a lease I would also suggest trying to get a 3/4 ton as a minimum rather then a 1/2 ton. I think in a very short time you'll wish you had a bigger truck. My F250 diesel is as small as I'd want to go. We've got an e-z dumper in it and it tows the 16' enclosed every day. The diesel is incredible but wish it was a 1 ton.

My other advise will be not to strap yourself to thin with cash. Buy something, new or a good used, that is financially comfortable. If you buy something that takes all you have you'll have nothing for future needs. Maybe your uncle can find a used truck in great shape?

Good Luck!!! New vehicals are cool but be sure you choose wisely. Remember not to spend all your $$ you may need some in case of an equipment break down or when you need new tools.

Mike
Old 07-19-2004, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to put a plow on the truck then I would totally rule out the possiblity of a 1/2 ton truck. If you go with a diesel it seems that they demand much more money if and when you decide to sell it, plus the towing capabilities are tremendous from a diesel.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

well im going to most likley be going to get the ram 3500 diesel 4 door, 4x4 8ft bed. its a big truck, its going to get hard used to park. but its gonna be a big step up from my dakota! im going to the dealer tonight and gonna try to talk him into letting me put money down on it to hold it for a week in a half till i get the money for this month!
Old 07-19-2004, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you have money for the remaining months ahead.

My advice is to go with what you can afford. I have a 3/4 ton and it has plenty of power for my operation.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1/2 ton Dodge with a 7 1/2 Meyer plow and it plows like butter. You may want to reinforce the suspension a bit. It just depends on the size of the plow you put on the truck. If you put a 9 footer on a 1/2 ton, you may as well burn your tranny right now.
989-277-9064 (cell)
Old 07-22-2004, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Premier,
Whatever you do on a truck don't lease it. Especially in this business because it WILL get beat up some. And it will cost you a bunch of cash when it's time to turn it in. And if you go over on the miles...again, they'll get you for it. I have personal experience with a lease and would never do it again.

Buck