Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2004, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Did you guys catch Snowyleaf's last post on Premier's thread?? If he purchases this truck its going to sit til September til he gets his license. As I've already said, doesn't make sence at this time!!! Hold off, you'll have a nice truck soon enough!! They make them and sell them every day.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

actually i get my license in jan. but with leaf season we want to have a truck if we need to hual anything. also my dad wants it so if the snow is bad he can drive it. he just doesnt want it to sit there for such a long time and still have to pay insurance on it. but in september i plan on having a helper that can drive or worst comes to worst my mom can continue driving me. (she doesnt mind that much)
Old 07-22-2004, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you REALLY want to be a novice driver learning on icy roads? Won't you be pulling a trailer too? It's bad enough learning to drive a barge like our trucks let alone coupled to a trailer.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i am already driving a suv and pulling a trailer, so i am already used to backing up, and mauvering a trailer. when it is cold and icy i wount be pulling a trailer-lawncare.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont buy the truck
First why spend that much on a used one? You are more than likely going to have payments so why not buy new. You get your choice of options and a warranty for what 10 grand more. I doubt you can afford it anyways.
Figure
truck payment initial or yearly is at least $10k
Gas $4-5k
Insurance $3k
Do you have 17k just to dump into a truck?
Its only a bare boned xlt half that stuff isnt added options.
As far as being a long truck and Ford turning w/e its crap. I have a new supercab long bed 350 and i can put it wherever. I also drive a crew long bed and same thing, obvjously the drive thru at the local Mc D;s is a lil tricky but other than that its fine.
As far as the v8- i have one in mine after numerous diesel problems. Guess what im truck shopping again for a diesel. I get an avg 9-10 mpg city highway; Highest was 14 open tailgate highway. When towing i get 6-8. That is towing a 7*14 dump trailer weighing 10-14k lbs. Can the truck do it- yes would a diesel do it a little easier yes Ive tried it with both the 7.3l psd and 6.0l psd and the trailer empty is still heavy no matter what is pulling it. You will not pay off the cost difference from a gas to a deisel in a year unless you drive 60k miles a year.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlandscaping

Do you have 17k just to dump into a truck?
actually i do, i have $19k laying around waiting to be spent on a truck.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you have 19k
what happens if lets say u break your arm and have to hire help for all the fall. thats money. a mower breaks more money etc etc
You say you have 19, so buy the truck
no money left for insurance or registration or gas.
These things are alot more than you thought.
I found this out only after my second brand new truck in one year. Its tough to afford them and the estimated cost of a truck is always lower than what it comes out to be.
I put 21k down on a truck and guess what i still pay 750 a month for payment and insurance
my fuel bill is 450 a month
cell phone 60 a month
nevermind help or equipment. Do what you want i was getting you to think for a second.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Snowy, listen to the older WISER, guys. First, that isn't any kind of good deal, second, I'd say the mileage figures posted by folks here ( 8-9mpg ) are optimistic, pulling trailer it would more likely be 6-7. Third, Why would you wan't or need a truck like that to WORK out of ?? You can find an older, clean Diesel or Gas, for that matter, for thousands less, that will serve your needs as well or better.. BTW there's a reason Ford sells like twice as many Powerstroke Diesel HD pickups than gas one's.. POWER and ECONOMY. That truck will be a dog. If it were me, I find something less thirsty, more affordable ( say, in the $7500 range) and take the money saved on a truck, and apply it towards something that MAKES you money, not costs more... Just my nickel, and I wish you the best luck either way, God bless you.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i understand what everybody is saying, txlawnking im not going to waste all on a truck, next season i plan on buying a wright stander also.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to go with the other guys on this one. The 5.4 just won't cut the mustard in that big of truck. If you are dead set against a diesel look for a truck with the V10. It will have all the power you need but you'll really take it in the shorts at the gas pump. It's your money, but you can get a pretty decent (but older) truck for 10K and have the rest left over for all those unexpected expenses that tend to come up.