Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-29-2000, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I read the other sagging door post but decided to open up another thread. The other thread seemed to be for older trucks. Mine is a 92 suburban. Both doors are starting to sag a bit. I understand changing out the pin BUT, after a quick look I don't see any bolts on the door part of the hinge and only one on the body side. There looks like some sort of sealer or glue(?) between the hinge and door. What gives?

What's the procedure on a 92 to remove the doors and replace the hinges.

Thanks A Bunch,
Rob
Old 12-29-2000, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Yikes, haven't worked on a '92+ suburban. It is doubtful that they would use any type of adhesive or glue, but anything is possible. Hopefully one of these guys have done it before and can help you out.
What part of Houston are you in? I am in the Northwest part near 290/1960.
Jeff
Old 12-30-2000, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

West Spring Branch, in Spring Shadows. Off Gessner.

The door setup should be the same for all the C/K trucks.

Rob
Old 12-31-2000, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I have some buddies that live over there. My trucks are the '76 and the '99, so neither are identical to your hinges.
Where are the other '92-'98 guys?
Jeff
Old 12-31-2000, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 99 is the same hinge.Your pins and bushings are worn out,happens to all the C/K's with high miles.you need to get them at a GM dealer,most have them in stock,there are 2 little bushings,and 2 big ones.Get 2 new pins and 2 locking clips too.Ive done a bunch of them,I masking tape the edges of the fender and door,on the side your doing,just in case they touch when removing them or reinstalling the door,the support the door with a floor jack or jackstand,i use a block of wood on the jack,so i dont hurt the bottom of the door.You need someone to hold the door,while you drive the bottm pin,up from the bottom,and the top one down from the top with a small hammer,There are little one way clips on top that will popo off when you do this,catch the door spring too,as it falls off when you release the top hinge.you are going to have to have someone steady the door while you pop out the old bushings and put the new ones in,after that,wipe some grease on them and the pins,line up the door,and put the new pins in.If the clip isnt put on the top one,it will creep out the bottom,eventually,destroying the new bushings,so make sure its clipped.I drill a small hole in the top one and put a cotter pin in it,that way itll never fall out,I dont have great luck with the clips,the bottom pin is held in by gravity,it wont fall out if you dont clip it.Be careful,the big loom of wiring going to the door has its liits,dont try to set the door down,just slip it away enough to replace the bushings,slide it right back on.The spring that goes under the top bushing can be put in if your good with a py bar,or buy the tool from a Napa store.I use a pry bar,and it goes right in.If you loose track of where things go,just check the other side.Good luck.
Old 12-31-2000, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

suburbanrob,the hinges are welded on the door with 4 spot welds in the center of the hinge I believe. The old hinge has to have those welds drilled out and that hinge removed then. The holes thst are now in the door are the holes that will be used for the new hinge. The new hinge comes with all the hardware you should need, it's a @#tch of a job. I don't know what GM was thinking there.I would definately try putting bushings in first like John suggested. The caulk or sealer you see on the hinge is just that,caulk.
Old 12-31-2000, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

So yall don't recommend the "HELP" products at the Auto Zone or other autoparts stores?

Thanks for all the help,
Rob
Old 01-05-2001, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the "HELP" pins from auto zone they worked fine for me. You might have to drill the holes bigger to get the bushing in.
Old 01-15-2001, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

HELP! stuff

Well the HELP! stuff worked just fine on my 92. No drilling or anything. A little pricy at $7.50 per pin ($15 per door). They only had one in stock and I did find out that you have to remove both pins to replace just the lower. Not a big deal. It took about 15 minutes to do the lower pin. Reinstalling the spring is a real pain.

Thanks for all the help,
Rob