Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2004, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pick up truck and ramps

Hey guys I am 16 years old and just bought my first pick up truck. Right now I am mowing about 25 yards a week and am looking for better means of transportation to get my mower and other tools from house to house. I don't have a place to store a trailer and places around here want $75-$100 a month for storage. I was wondering about using ramps into the back of the truck. I have a 48" wb belt drive, so it would have to be driven foward into the truck I liked the ramps I saw at places like usaramps that r the mesh like on the back of a trailer however they are a little pricy. I was wondering If I could use 2x8's or 2x10's as ramps and have something at the top of the ramp that sits down in the slots in the bed liner
so it can't shift side ways I was also thinking maybe a device to keep the bottoms of the ramps and tops locked at a fixed width for loading but be able to pull a pin and have them seprate. Does any one out there do any thing like that and if so do you have pics? Thanks Here is my new truck.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2004, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Chevy silverado with a short bed and my Scag 36 just fits in the back, I use two 2x10 boards, it drive right up into the back but getting it down is a pain and can get dangerous, but I got the hang of it, I have a guy that works with me so he has to keep the boards from moving around. All of our equipment fits perfect, Not sure if a 48 would fit in the back of that truck.

Jeff
Old 07-21-2004, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just be careful with ramps, we have had a few accidents where the ramp slips off and the mower of course comes down. i would suggest getting a little 5' x 10' trailer and parking it in the drive way or in the yard somewhere. if you can get a enclosed trailer that would be ideal.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.usaramp.com/
Old 07-21-2004, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have these type of ramp ends bolted onto 2 x 12s

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roductId=13471

I use these ramps to run a loaded wheelbarrow up into the bed.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have ramp ends bolted onto 2X12's but there 2 ft. long. I use them to get over curbs.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First, most important rule-fasten the ramps to the truck to prevent slipping while loading/unloading.
It's a whole bunch safer to back the mower onto the truck, as then, when unloading, you are above the machine in case it falls.
Make a frame to keep the machine away from the front of the bed, so you don't hit the brake and get a handlebar in the back of the head.
Not sure if you can fit a 48 in a 6' bed this way, as I have an 8' bed, and put a 21" behind the Scag, against the tailgate, and it's a good tight fit.
Crawdad
Old 07-21-2004, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice truck! Good luck with it in the snow with 2wheel drive though.. These trucks are buses without 4wd and you will notice it!

I got the 2x12 ramp kit from Home Depot for $33.99 + $16.99 for each 2x12.. I only use them to run wheelbarrows up into the dump trailer, but I suppose you could use them to load into the truck. Just BE CAREFUL!
Attached Images

www.qualitylawncare.biz
Serving Western New York since 1998.

"Everyone has bad breaks but everyone also has opportunities. I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it..." -Samuel Goldwyn
Old 07-21-2004, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

BUY GOOD QUALITY ALUMINUM RAMPS AND BE SURE TO SECURE THEM WITH A CABLE TO THE TAILGATE. If you hit the brakes while the mower is on the ramp it will pull the ramps away from the tailgate and the mower will come down on you! Also, wood is VERY SLICK when wet.

Ramps will work but don't try to save a few buck here. Stay away from wood! JMO
Old 07-21-2004, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing about those boards is that when they get a little and some clippings smeared on them, you will be asking for trouble.

Ask me how I know. . .I used to use two 2x10s to manually push ( because there was no traction to drive it in) my old Murray riding mower up into the bed. After nearly killing myself a few times, I wised up and bolted a hand-crank jet ski winch to the front of the bed. Once I made a few thousand $$$ I bought a 14' tandem axle trailer to haul my little collection around. Now, I have that same trailer full of commercial units.

My point is though, since a trailer isn't an option, at least build some type of winch / hoist to drag your WB in and out of the truck. It'll be much safer and less back-breaking.

Also, there is a company that makes a ramp that telescopes on itself and serves as a tailgate. I was pretty pricey, but I think it would serve your purpose well. I forget the name, but if you'd like, I can do a search and see if I can find it.

Good luck to ya.