Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-23-2004, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Getting sick of DEALER's SERVICE PLEDGE!

I'm sure you've all heard it, just like they told me when I was buying my mowers. DEALER: "We know you commercial guys need your mowers, & if we can't fix it right then we'll move you to the front of the repair line to keep you working."

So you buy the mower & then when you actually need service they'll give you the "we're 7 to 10 days out" or "we're backed up 5 weeks, it's the SPRING RUSH you know!"

WHAT A LOAD OF CR@P!

I have been LOYAL to a local "mom & pop" EXMARK dealer for 5 years. Bought several machines there & have always had them serviced there. I drive 20 miles oneway to the other side of town to drop it off with them. There is a "mega farm store" Exmark dealer that is 5 miles away. I feel like I get better service from the mom & pop store.

Well the one time they (mom & pop) told me 5 weeks, I about blew a gasket.

I told them I'll be OUT OF BUSINESS IN 5 WEEKS!So I called the MEGA STORE and was told if I bring it in Tuesday morning they'll have it for me Tuesday evening. So I took it in MONDAY evening. Tuesday night I call. NO REPLY. Weds morning I call - "they are going to look at it today." Thursday I call, "still don't have it done." FRIDAY NOON they call me, "well service man has looked at it and it will be $300 & will be ready tonite." I go and pick it up and it is $400. I raise hell with them over that and they knock $50 off the price. Well, now I'm NEVER going back to the MEGA STORE because: 1) THEY LIED to me about having it TUESDAY to get me in the door. NO WAY they even looked at it before FRIDAY. 2) THEY SCREWED ME on price!

So now I'm looking for a new dealer that can get me parts/my machine fixed on a reasonable time frame (1 or 2 days).

ANYONE ELSE have similar treatment? Or am I the only one?

Mike
6x10 Lone Wolf dump trlr w/lndscp gate
82" Lastec 3682
60" Exmark Lazer
48" & 44" Exmark LazerHPs
44" Toro Z-147
36" Exmark MetroHP WB
34" Encore Z-34
Gator-Rator
JRCO Elec Brdcst Sprdr
Brandlein FIREBALL Grinder
2005 & 2007 Cyclone Rakes
2005 BOSS 8' plow
2011 SnowEx spreader
2006 Billy Goat 18hp Leaf Loader
Licensed Pesticide Applicator
Purdue U. Trained
Old 07-23-2004, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dropped my Shindaiwa trimmer off on March 3 for service. Got to the point last year where it was getting real hard to start. Anyway, I was told 2 weeks. No biggie at that point. By the end of March, I'm like, I need it back, the grass is starting to grow. Finally, I just asked them "Should I just buy another one or will it be ready by Monday?" The dealer said "Well...it never hurts to have a backup"

But its like that at all 3 dealers I've used. They get backed up, mechanics quit, and you are screwed.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are not alone my friend. EVERY SINGLE ONE around here I have had dealings with are the EXACT SAME WAY! Even CARSWELL DSITRIBUTING's shop.... bad... The rest probably are too, that way there is no shop competition.

I know the other shop SUCKERED you in and then SCREWED you. But altleast they were willing to take you in even though you didn't buy it from them. Around here they won't do that much.

Most of these shops around here are backed up with repairing their non-warranty homeowner machines. That's where the money is for them. Don't be fooled, in areas like ours, the commercial guy is the enemy. Dealers hate us, end of story.

Here there are only 2 commercial mower ONLY dealerships and 1 who is a tractor dealer that sells commercial mowers. The rest are in the homeowner market.

Must be nice to live where some of these other guys do and have "class act" dealers to do business with like they describe.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 07-23-2004, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I had the opposite response from my toro dealer, the tensioner spring broke on the belt sys for hydro while mowing.I rang the dealer at 10am he sent his mechanic to get a new spring from toro and then to me at the work site and had me cutting again by 11.45am. The job site was 20klms from his shop . The service he provides is EXCELLENT
Old 07-23-2004, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had the same thing happen with my EXMARK dealer. Dealers just SUCK.

John
Old 07-23-2004, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not true here, Bill bends over backwards for his commercial guys. By the way, I've actually been to the Carswell shop. They do some retail repairs but, mostly they support their dealer network. It's like any business, during the season they get hard pressed. Unless something is in stock, there's going to be a wait. I had to wait a long time for a battery box for my Bob-Cat because it's not normally a stocked item and I was told they manufacture enough to put mowers together and that's about it. Brakes, castors, other parts that are expected to wear are in supply, normally. Also, it depends on who you talk to at some shops. Sometimes counter help doesn't have the owners best interests at heart.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tharrell; 07-23-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For starters, I've got a backup for everything, not just a backup 36 wb for my 60" ZTR, but another 60" ZTR. With that said, there's still days where both break down. Or one is in the shop, and then another one breaks for some reason or other.

If I get to that point, the dealer either lets me take a new mower they've got sitting around, or takes parts off the new more and puts them on my mower, so I can be working again within the hour.

I suppose I could be a dink and insist they do that when I bring the first mower in, but they get parts shipped in overnight, and I've got my mower back within 2 days anyways.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a problem with service at a small independent ExM dealer. I threatened to call Exmark and tell them what was happening. Next thing I know, they are fixing the machine. I should have called ExM anyway, but wanted to stay true to my word.

48" Exmark Turf Tracer w/ Proslide XT -- for sale in Spring!
Tanaka 600 Edger
2 Tanaka 230 Trimmer
Makita 4 stroke equipment
Gravely 100 ProTurn 48"
Toro 48" T-bar w/ Proslide will be on the trailer in Spring 2012!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dealer support should be one of the biggest issues before you buy any piece of equipment!!! When you are down and donít have a back up the money isnít coming in. This dealer support issue has forced me to learn how to repair a lot of stuff not just to save money but so that my front line machine will be back up and running in a reasonable timeframe.

Gravely_Man
Old 07-23-2004, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Used to have major problems. Dealer would keep my machines for weeks and not offer a loaner. Switched brands and have had nothing but good service since.