Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2004, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Member

leaf removal

how do you all charge for removing leaves. Is it by the hour or the sq foot or what. I know it can be hard to see how much leaves there really is when it hasnt been done in a while. And do you get alot of leaf removal jobs. are the easy to get.
324lx split boom trimmer
hedge clipper attachment
155bt Husqvarna Blower
21" honda pushmower
Old 07-24-2004, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only Fair Way to price 'Leaf Removal' is to charge 'by the hour' and bump up the $$ from your 'mowing' rate. After your first season of 'leaves' you will know what you need to charge to make a decent profit. My first year was a disaster of under charging (same rate as mowing) and I thought I would never survive the season (rake and tarp). People will beat a path to your door for seasonal leaf removal - don't bite - offer the service to your mowing customers first and IF you still have extra time use this season to sign up home owners for 'full service maintenance' next year. Do Not reduce your price in hopes of getting a new client for next year as most of these type people are shopping for the best deal and will continue to mow their own lawn (or have Jonny down the street do it). Fall is a tough time of the year (labor intensive) but it holds the chance to be very rewarding financially. Lots of LCO toys to make the job less back breaking, but keep in mind that this type of equipment is limited to Seasonal use.

BobR

Old 07-24-2004, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

good information thanks. any more
324lx split boom trimmer
hedge clipper attachment
155bt Husqvarna Blower
21" honda pushmower
Old 07-24-2004, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

What I charge depends on which customers I'm dealing with. Sometimes I'll just add the equivalent of the cost of 1 extra mowing to the monthly bill for leaves. Others I'll charge by the hour and others I'll just add a flat fee. I try not to ever haul leaves off the property if I don't have to. Actually, one of the first things I look at when I go to look at a potential new lawn account is the trees. I don't want any more leaves than necessary. Since I work solo, I've turned down many new lawns because I didn't want the big leaf cleanup that would come with them.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Easiest way is to do the job per man hour. Get as many extra hands as possible, leaves are no joke and very time consuming. Typically here in NJ, I'll spend an extra 30-40 mins per lawn, per visit just to do the leaf removal prior to lawn maintenance starting the 2nd week of October. That's with a MINIMUM of 3 guys, top of the line equipment, and a 16hp Billy Goat debris loader. Tell the accounts to open their checkbook.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I price them by the hour this includes removal I use a dumpbody pulling a 20hp giant vac.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just throw the bag on my wb, and charge $2 per bag of leaves in addition to the regular price of the cut. Worked out pretty well that way last fall, and will likely do it again that way this fall.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search there are a ton of posts with good advice.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do believe the hourly rate should also be rated with what equipment is being used on the job.

I charge for how far the leaves have to be moved to get them to the Leaf vaccum (sometimes). I have a few clients with extremely steep back yards and it takes some extra time to move them.

Other than that, my basic rate for having a 16hp Billy Goat Debris Loader, 1-10 hp Billy goat Blower and 2-Shindaiwa EB630's is 70 to 75$ per hour.... Now with that said it takes us half the time since I have the equipment to get it done quickly and no bags used and all debris removed from the property.

This season I will also be adding my new Grasshopper 52" with a 16 bushel hopper to the mix to reduce the use of blowers also..

Tim
Old 07-24-2004, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

If you can blow the leaves rather than rake, I take it easy on the price. If there is somewhere to blow the leaves, I'll give 'em a break. If the leaves are dry and travel well, I'll give 'em a break. If they want every single leaf gone, they get it up the arse. If they just want to control the leaves, break.

I figure it hourly and also I figure the profitablity of their account into it too.