Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2004, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

new ztr purchase

I have read a ton, alot of places, but still feel compelled to ask the pros. If I am asking in the wrong group, or should not ask at all, I apologize. I really appreciate your input. YOU GUYS KNOW. stats as follows
homeowner-Macon, GA
5 acres to cut weekly. (4 acres bahalia) 1 acre centipede-all flat land- in ground pool, fence, and 10 pecan trees.
budget of 8,000 to 8500 TOPS WITH TAX- but thinking about spending less if possible. Thinking 60" deck is the right size.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have a Lesco in your area? They have a deal going on now , I think there selling for less than $6k.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely PM320HD 27 Kohler
Old 07-25-2004, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Turf Technologies
Have a Lesco in your area? They have a deal going on now , I think there selling for less than $6k.
I agree. That would be an ideal machine for a homeowner. They are dependable and cut well for low dollar investment.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a 72". If its all flat and open it will be much faster, unless you like spending time mowing.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a home owner that purchased a Hustler Z, 60" deck and 25 hp Kawasaki for a three acre lawn. Love this thing. They are having a very good sale but I think it ends this month. Shop around and see what you like. Dealer support is important (Prob. more for a pro than a home owner). Get demo's of several brands/mowers in your area and use them on your yard - see what cuts and feels best to you. Look at Toro, Exmark, Hustler, John Deere, Scag, Ferris, Dixie, etc. (you can get a lot of different brand advice of of this site - just do a search). I think you will be fine with a 60" deck but get as much horse power as you can afford. I would get a suspension seat (would not buy a mower without one) and an OCDC (to keep from blowing grass in the pool). If you are bagging you are going to have to figure a bagger into the price. Also, you can get a trailer hitch for most of these units to pull the little lawn trailer around the yard.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Snoopy1028
You have come to the right place for mower advice. These guys should know. JHE suggested getting an OCDC, I agree. My company, GTM Manufacturing Inc. manufactures the Qwikchute and feel it would make your mower a more versatile tool. Check it out on our web site: www.qwikchute.com Your local dealer may also have them in stock.

http://www.qwikchute.com/
Old 07-26-2004, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey G'Day Dale!

You called be back in Australia a few months ago after I asked for more info on your web site.

Great service! Thanks again mate!

I haven't forgotton to order, we are in a bad winter at the moment.

Great to see you here..thought you were already a member?

Anyway, I can say here again, we have met and your service is outstanding!
Old 07-27-2004, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Snoopy, you can also do a search in the Homeowner Assistance Forum for responses to similar questions. 10 trees are hardly worth thinking about on 5 acres - - and bagging is a waste of time and nutrients (and can always be added later). Try mulching; especially around a pool, deck, patio and flowerbeds. I have friends that handle 4-5 acres easily with a 48" ztr. Go bigger only if you want to get it down under 2 hours (and don't need the added maneuverability). You've already got some good suggestions. One more: www.countryclipper.com Good luck!