Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Which one to buy Ex-mark w/bagger or a Walker?
48" Ex-mark w/QDS bagger 0 0%
48" Walker 5 45.45%
52" Ex-mark w/QDS bagger 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2004, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Laser Z w/bagger or Walker

I am needing to make a choice on a bagger system. Should I go with the leading Walker machine or with the EX-mark 48" useing the QDS bagger system? Any have experience or perfer one over the other. Cost is about the same for each so thats not a good enough deciding factor. Which one should I buy?
Old 07-25-2004, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I used a Walker last year and hated it. The shoot and the underside of the deck clog in the wet morning grass. You have to stop and dump the hopper. If you run to long w/o dumping you have to unclog the shoot. The Walker is also way to finiky. It seems your always have to replace a sheer pin or something. The Walker is also very slow. One other thing you have to watch turning on the Walker or you will smack the hopper into something.
I have never bagged w/the Exmark but I do mulch. It does such a good job that there is no reason to bag. I do not have one customer that has complained or even hinted like they would rather me go back to bagging. The ones that have commented all tell me how much better the new mower makes there yard look over the mower I was using last year.
Just something to think about. If it were me I would not buy a bagging system, but invest in mulching.
2 Redmax Eb 8000s
Carlton TRX 7015 stump grinder
Old 07-25-2004, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

what type of property? if you are doin solely residential i would personally choose the walker. i see most of the guys that mow solely residential in my area have walkers. if u have some large commercial accounts and a few large residential i would say the exmark would be ideal. the walker and exmark both leave a great cut but i think the extra 2.5- 3 mph speed from an exmark would be an advantage on large properties. also about $2,500 cheaper for an exmark. just my opinion, own an exmark have demoed a walker twice but never owned one.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you have any clogging with the mulch kit in the wet or with leaves. The leaves is the biggest thing now that fall is near. Don't need to spend time removing leaves
Old 07-26-2004, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

sorry for the price comment didnt see u had same price for both. my area walkers must be expensive like $9,000 and up depending on engine size. my exmark new was $7,400 but im sure with the bagger it would be more than that. what was the price on both of them for you?
Old 07-26-2004, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

The yards to be cut using the bagger would be res. only
Old 07-26-2004, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeh on the ex-mark w/bag the price doesn't differ that much to make an easy pick. I'm in GA.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I personally have both the 48 inch Walker GHS and the 48 inch exmark with the mulch kit and also the Bagging system. The walker does great on small yards, leaves a nice cut abd bags wonderful as long as the grass is dry. It will not handle wet or even damp grass. Walker does leave a little better cut than the exmark. On the other hand the exmark is so much faste and does not clog nearly as easily. If it does get clogged the exmark is easier to unclog. My deciding factor between the two would be what type of properties you have. Larger ones I would go with exmark, smaller the walker.