Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2004, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can we talk about this Bill please?

Long and short of job done:

Starts out with cleanup of property, could not even see the azaleas that were 15' tall because of wisteria. Charged $750.

Customer says "That looks so much better, could you install edging and landscape fabric in front garden followed by cypress mulch?

WOW that looks incredible!!!!
Could you do the side yard where there is ivy growing that you just cleaned out?

No asking of price.

WOW that looks outstanding, I cannot believe how good it looks, could you do the front by the mailbox and the little side gargden?

Yes Ma'am, by the way I am going to drop an estimated bill by tonight all right?

Tonight: Got a call from her wanting to meet with me about it tomorrow, cannot believe how the bill went from $750 to $5000.

Materials Alone: 22 yards of bagged Cypress Mulch: $850
Metal Edging:$$355
Fabric:$450
Misc: $300

Total:$1955 without labor involved!!!

And to remove ivy by hand is a B@@@ worse than the orginal cleanup ....
Old 08-30-2004, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First is your bill itemized? if not do that for her, be very detailed. Second don't ever in the future just do the work without telling them that it will be more money, at least say it will be time plus materials. Third, if you did the work and can prove it with hard numbers, stick to your guns. Maybe offer to break it into two payments.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:22 AM

Dear Scrub,

Why did you not inform your customer of the price throughout the project?

22 yards of bagged mulch? You should always buy in bulk if at all possible.

You knew your customer didn't ask for a price, and you didn't bother to inform her and keep her up to date.

That's always a huge mistake.

Take it from any number of similar posts here and see why these guys are coming up short on getting their money due to examples just like this.

Even though you may not have had a contract (I'm assuming you didn't or there would not be this problem) you still could have written down an outline and given here a ballpark estimate as the projects were added on.

If you don't get the money you bill for then you deserve not to get it.

Same old song and dance.

This MB needs a topic called, "I got burned because I'm a scrub"
Old 08-30-2004, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Ken

1st off jack, no one sells BULK cypress any where near me, I am talking the nearest place to deliver is 75 miles away. I said that in the first post.

2nd off that is what I have just done, I am only half way through the project and gave her an estimate bill to give her an idea of what to expect in a few days. SHe keeps coming out and likes what I am doing,so she keeps adding more and more. SO to cover my butt, NOT LIKE A F**** scrub I gave her a itemized bill for her to look at. To give her an idea of what this is going to cost.

3Rd Before you start looking down your nose at me why dont you just shut the F$$$up. I have kept her up to date on everything that was going on, and you have pissed me off so much I cannot even talk.

I am going to attend college classes right now, something you probably no nothing about do you ken?

At least if you do you skipped over ethics then...
Old 08-30-2004, 10:07 AM

"Tonight: Got a call from her wanting to meet with me about it tomorrow, cannot believe how the bill went from $750 to $5000."

From $750 to $5,000 is a big jump that she obviously didn't count on from what you said.

I'm just going on the info you posted.

Do you have a contract with this customer?

I'm betting no.

Please don't get your panties in a wad or be late to class over little old me.

Oh, and don't forget your #2 pencil.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First I hate school, taking forever to get out.

Second no I do not have a contract with her but I have kept her up to date on the materials I have needed and the problem with bulk mulch.

I am just saying in her eyes she doesnt see how a simple little cleanup of her property that cost her $750 could balloon into that . I have told her I have spent $1800 on materials so far and she was fine with that. I dont know what she wants. If she doesnt agree to the bill I am stopping where I am and getting compensated for work already done.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:26 AM

Keep an open line of communication with her.

Don't show her your invoices but make her one that is detailed with material marked up and labor separated.

You'll be smart if you don't work any more without getting paid for what you've done already.

With a contract, you can spell out specifically the price for the service and have it in writing. That way there is no blood loss or tears on either side.

Also, she can make a deposit payment to you so you can fund the job with her money, not yours.

Then as the work is completed more payments will come with everyone on the same page.

If she decided to not pay you for work completed then you can look up the contract and say this is what you agreed to, pay me or I'll else. (That part up to you).
Old 08-30-2004, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would not itemize the bill anymore than this.

The bill may look like this:

1) install edging and landscape fabric in front garden followed by cypress mulch?
2)do the side yard where there is ivy growing that you just cleaned out?
3)do the front by the mailbox and the little side garden?

$2932.50
Materials Cypress Mulch:
Metal Edging:
Fabric:
Misc:
Total:$1955

Grand Total= 4,887.50
1/3 down or materials which ever is higher = 1955.00
Balance upon compleation = 2932.50

all add-ons will be on a signed contract
Old 08-30-2004, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it actually looked liked this, and yes ken walked away with a $2,000 check. After talking with her and explaining to her my process and such, she wanted to add more on the backside of the house now....here is the invoice:
Attached Files
File Type: xls leslie gualtney price list.xls (21.5 KB, 219 views)
Old 08-30-2004, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

and I know having had my balls busted already, there was no way I could talk her out of putting landscape fabric down. So I go along with the phrase "the customer is always right"