Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlawnking View Post
I am absolutely going to change my biz strategy to one along the lines of his....
What the hell happened to pride in quality?!
Old 08-20-2008, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
DFW for 400 a day I would not bother you will go broke making that little once stuff starts to get older. I run 2 crews. Crew A is 2 men and does 30-35 lawns per day these are small to average some tiny and that brings in 600-650 dollars a day. Crew B my crew is also 2 men we do much few lawns 18-25 per day but they are larger we have been bringing in as of late 750-900 dollars a day. We only cut 2 and half days a week but that is enough to get all 120 or so of my lawns cut. Between us we average 55 lawns a day and half are 1-acre lawns. The rest of the week we do landscaping but now that the list has gotten so much tighter the profits have really went up and I now want allot more lawns and crews.
Not doubting you but how do you average 3 lawns an hour on crew A. Just curious. Are you running multiple Zs or what.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

i wont get my mower off the triailer for less than $25 a yard and that takes me about 20 min. to do i have only gave a price at $20 one time and that was becausei was cutting a yard and their neibor asked how much for me to only cut thier front and i said $20 and it took about 10 min. lol but i already had the mower off the trailer lol
and lots of STIHL and Echo handhelds

Running Solo
Old 08-20-2008, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is all about the bottom dollar.... TJ is raking it in. Why can't you just respect other types of business models? Kinda makes you guys look like fools on craftsman mowers.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that is a self destructive business plan. Eventually those guys will have to get out or raise their prices. Eventually overhead will consume all their profits since the profits are not high enough. It takes a lot of money to run a landscaping business as everyone knows, with fuel, labor, insurance, taxes, driving around ... these things show up at the end of the month, and the end of the next month. There cant be any money left to repair and upgrade machinery.

I just can't see it lasting.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I forgot to ad, this lowballing is like the 80/20 rule, where usually 20 percent of a persons work provides 80 percent of the profit, and vice versa. These accounts fall into the 80 percent work for 20 percent profit.

You grow your business and thrive if you can duplicate that 20 percent that provides 80 percent profit. Its a demographic game really ... finding what works and repeating it.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

From the OP's website:

http://www.meierslandscape.com/resid...ent/view/8/26/
Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrimmerAssist View Post
I think that is a self destructive business plan. Eventually those guys will have to get out or raise their prices. Eventually overhead will consume all their profits since the profits are not high enough. It takes a lot of money to run a landscaping business as everyone knows, with fuel, labor, insurance, taxes, driving around ... these things show up at the end of the month, and the end of the next month. There cant be any money left to repair and upgrade machinery.

Hasn't justmowit been doing it for a long time??? It is just a different business model in a unique residential setting.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrimmerAssist View Post

A couple years ago they were grossing over $40,000 per week and are still in business today.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This thread has really gotten huge from the last time I read this. The reason that justmowit has such a successful business is because he has low overhead. Lets get this out of the way while we're at it..... Getting into hte mowing business is a low cost of entry business with relatively low overhead, meaning that a basic lawn service may start up with as little as $15K to $25K or more, and some manage to do it for less. This guy has his overhead down pat. He's running small s-10 trucks, 2 push mowers, small trailer, trimmers, small blower(s), no lettering on his trucks, maybe even a walkbehind mower His overhead is a fraction to most mowing businesses out there and that alone allows for them to charge less per lawn.

99.9% of all businesses highest cost is labor. He has his labor costs in check at all times. His laborers are on a contract rate; a percentage per lawn. He doesn't have to worry about his hispanic labor goofing off during the day, draining the clock and his wallet. As far as this guy is concerned, if they don't work, they don't eat.... well uhhh... in this case drink. So he doesn't pay by the hour.

His marketing is spot on. That's all i'm gonna tell you on that one.

If his route wasn't as tight as it is, and you can bet that it's tight, this type of business structure would not be doing nearly as well as it is.

This guy knows what he's doing.
"To have a nice, green, weed free lawn is a LUXURY. This holds true for a Cadillac pick-up. We don't have to have one, we just want it! Our Cadillac owning customers want the nice lawn. They paid for the Caddi, why not the lawn?" The moral here folks is, Charge Accordingly!

http://www.gardenplace.com/main.asp?page_id=38
www.j-thomas.com
www.weedalert.com